Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 7500 reasonable for clean Verde? The sunroof won't work, but everything else does, including the ABS. I feel crazy paying that much for a Milano, but they seem to be gaining in value faster than the spider I have...but luckily not as quick as the GTV. :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's on the high end but not unreasonable if the mileage is under 100k, the interior upholstery doesn't have the usual issues (worn Recaros or sagging headliner), it doesn't use excessive oil (>1qt /500 miles?), the steering rack doesn't leak, the driveline is vibration free, the key isn't stuck in the ignition, etc, etc.

The sunroof is probably the least of your worries and usually can be addressed by readjustment or a new motor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes rust free. As for the sunroof, a piece is broke that allegedly isn't made any longer. Recaro's and interior are all new. Was hoping to get it for maybe 6500??

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Yes rust free. As for the sunroof, a piece is broke that allegedly isn't made any longer. Recaro's and interior are all new. Was hoping to get it for maybe 6500??
Don,
The "broken sunroof piece" is unfortunately common (if you do a search for Milano sunroofs), and is not available anymore. You would have to source that piece from e-bay or an Alfa recycler like APE in Ca. But if the car is otherwise all there, and especially rust free with a good interior, I would have to say that $6500 - 7500 is a good price, maybe a little low. As an owner of a nice '88, I wish the values were higher, though;). Oh, in the worst case, you can always leave the sunroof closed.
Jim

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Since there are not too, too many nice Verdes for sale at any given time if it is rust free and as mentioned above all mechanicals are sound $7500 is not out of line in my opinion. A bit high for me but hey I bought my near mint GTV6 for half that and know that there will be a deal on a Verde someday.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,407 Posts
When I bought my Verde a few years ago, I wasn't looking to get a bargain, just the right car.

I paid more than $7,500 for mine, and haven't regretted it as it's given me very few problems and feels tight and fresh because of the low mileage and good care by the previous owner.

Milanos are one car where it really does make sense to pay a little more for the best examples, IMO.

JOe

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I absolutely agree with Joe. Actually with any Alfa it makes sense to pay a bit more. In my case I was not really looking but when my car popped up it was one of those Holly **** deals that don't come around all the time.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I agree with the get what you pay for theory. If you pay less, you will pay to fix something big soon. I was $1500 into a tranny almost immediately after buying my car. Might as well tack that on to the price. No rust, etc. is good but check that 2nd gear synchro since only us Alfa-heads know how to drive them. There should be a pronounced pressure feeling sliding one gear into another. I consider it a 2 stage shift mentally.

As for that sunroof part. It is a pair of cast brackets IIRC since I saw mine floating around in my sunroof when they broke:( Does anybody have an extra set for "loan"? Even a broken set that has a clean break and are complete. I think I want to machine real parts:) You can PM me if you'd like to avoid thread drift.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have the same thing one busted where the tiny rod goes. the spring fell off and the loop got cough in the works and busted it. I think one would be easy to make but if I remove it I can not drive the car.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
As for that sunroof part. It is a pair of cast brackets IIRC since I saw mine floating around in my sunroof when they broke:( Does anybody have an extra set for "loan"? Even a broken set that has a clean break and are complete. I think I want to machine real parts:) You can PM me if you'd like to avoid thread drift.[/QUOTE]

Fraz,
If you machine new brackets, I would think that ten sets would sell to the sunroof inflicted. Thinking about stainless steel so they would outlast the rest of the car?
Jim

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you machine new brackets, I would think that ten sets would sell to the sunroof inflicted. Thinking about stainless steel so they would outlast the rest of the car?
Been out of town racing for a bit (the little car in my avatar<g>). Stainless would be overkill and I was thinking 7075 since I have access to it and my buddy who is a machinist mills it almost exclusively on his big Haas mills at work and hi smaller Haas at home. I think it would be a worthy upgrade/fix to make for many 75 owners. Is it the same pair of parts for the GTV6 sunroofs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts