Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Problem. I was trying to take the seat's out and the passenger side came out fine, but than i tried to take out the driver side and i couldn't slide it forward or back to be able to take out the screws. If anyone knows a different way to take it out that would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
First of all, make sure the lever to unlock the seat is fully moved to release the tracks. If it is then the tracks are rusted/seized. You will need to use lube/penetrant, several applications. If the seat covers are toast you can try to remove the skin and the bottom seat foam, to lube and possibly access the floor screws. Removing the seat back will also give you some more room to manueaver. In My 71, I got the seat moving a few millimiters at a time until it came loose.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1989 spider seat stuck

I have pulled the release bar across the front to release seat. it is hard to tell if released or not. Skins are almost new so I don't want to rip it apart. How do I know if its released.

If pulling up releases track I will start to spray. What kind of spray did you use. I don't think its rusted because it has worked great last week. Thanks for the help.
Joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1989 spider seat stuck

How do you check the tract there is only a couple of inchs. I can run my hand under but can't see anything. Any Ideas

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have an 87 Quad. The release bar is on the right. You need to pull it up, it will come up a little, but then you need to jiggle/rock the seat to get it up the full travel, which is a couple of inches. Then the track is released.

You may be just lifting the release till it bumps up on the rail teeth. It actually has to lift thru the rail teeth to release the seat slide.

As fas as looking; I kneel on the ground with the door open and use a light to look at whatever you can see. A mirror helps a little.

From what has been said on this post, I think you may not be aligning the unlock lever to let it release, hence the seat does not move (it is still locked).

Hope that helps.

Elio

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1989 spider seat stuck

Just tried again. My 89 has a bar that goes across on both side.(so I have to release both sides to move the seat. I have sprayed again and pulled to almost bend the bar while rocking hard. Still no release. any ideas. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What you are describing is most usual. All the seat tracks I've seen are the same, since at least 71. Only one side locks and these is only one release lever. The tracks are two separate and individual pieces, one having the spring loaded locking device/lever.

BTW there is a set for sale on eBay at present, you can call up the part and see the pic's. (DeNoya Trading post "REZDOC")

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1989 spider seat stuck

I was thinking what you posted so I took out other side there is a release for both sides controlled by one bar in the middle. Cleaned the track and then lubed. it works great. STILL CAN'T FREE UP OTHER SIDE.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the type like yours with the bar going across to both tracks.
I bet the release mechanism is not properly springing all the way out as its bound against its current position in the track.
See my post here to see if it gives you a better view of the mechanism.
http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showpost.php?p=387519&postcount=9
The mechanism circled has to come away from the pan to disengage the position on the track. Count the exposed track teeth and/or measure and make sure that both tracks are at the same position front to back relative to the seat pan. If you started removing/loosening the bolts holding the track down and moving the bar, you can get it in a bind where one side doesn't want to move as the tracks get to where one is ahead or behind the other relative to the pan. Make sure both tracks are parallel and square and then slightly tighten back to floor board and then try moving it again.
If you've taken any of the spacers out you will need to put them back as they keep things level, otherwise another reason for binding.

Hope this helps. Mine worked prior to redoing the interior, but when I went to put the seats back in, I got them in a bind like what you are describing and it took some tinkering to get them back in correctly.

And guess what? It is even more fun to get them back in. Lining up the spacers, track, track stop, washers, & bolts at the same time all the while being contorted on the floorboard. When removing seats, slide seats back, front bolts come off first, slide seat forward, then remove backs. When reinstalling, you do backs first (but don't tighten them down, let the track move some), then slide seat back, then fronts, then tighten backs.
You may have to have them all slightly loose to the point that the mechinism works, then tighten them all like you would a cylinder head, a little on each at a time and checking mechanism funtionality along the way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1989 spider seat stuck

Thanks for the post. I never got one screw out of the seat due to the fact the seat is all the way back. In cleaning the other side there were no spacers or washers when the seats were redone I'am sure they were not put back in. I will try to keep playing with it. I think you are correct the bar is not releaseing all the way. I will try to put something under to release. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
366 Posts
See this post for proper location of the spacers.
http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showpost.php?p=409053&postcount=4

Here's the complete thread;
http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=46938

If you don't have any spacers then you will need a washer that is about 1/16" of an inch thick for the front and back next to the tunnel and 1/4" spacers for the outside front and back. Originally there are black plastic spacers for the outside front and back locations that are about 1/4" thick. Rear tunnel one is a squarish metal plate with a hole that and its approx. 1/16" of an inch thick and the front tunnel one is a washer that is approx. 1/16" of an inch thick.

I think the reason they went with a large square plate for the rear is that is very difficult to line up the spacer with the track and floor pan hole. The large square gives you something to grab onto and move into position.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1989 spider seat stuck

Thanks for the help it will only take a few minutes on the one seat. I'll put in the spacers and one side complete. I just keep spraying penerating lube and moving it around until I kind a beeter idea. Thanks again for all of your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts