Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I can't imagine a bad coil only sparking on 1&4.
However, if the spark you are getting is weak, and not crisp & bright, then swop in the coil from the 89.....easy test to eliminate that one.

did you try swopping lead 1 & 2 in the dizzy cap?.....did the no-spark follow?

you say you put the flywheel in "by the book", so we can be assured you used the factory timing mark, and not some previous mechanic's paint mark on the flywheel, correct?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’ve swapped the high tension leads around, the coil from the 87 into the 89, plugs too, the ignition computer, the flywheel pickups, both of them and tested every component I could per the Alfa manual. I’ve cussed at the **** thing, to no avail! I am now removing the engine and swapping the flywheel. I may just put the other engine back in! I only removed it because the transmission lost first and second. If the ignition is only firing once per revolution and the previous engine/flywheel combination was working fine, somewhere in the past something happened to this car. I got both of these cars from the previous owner for free because he had given up on them. They both had been sitting in his garage for ten years. I’ve had them five years myself. I was driving the 89 around for two or three summers too. I’ve removed all that I need from the 87 and I’m going to sell it as is. I need the garage space.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
sure sounds frustrating, I agree!!

Was the 87 engine running in your possession?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No it was known to have a bad head gasket and some horrible electrical problems. Not much of an interior either. If it wasn’t for the rusted out trunk and bubbling rocker panels I might have tried to get that one working. Who knows where I’d be now!

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
No it was known to have a bad head gasket and some horrible electrical problems
so the 87 never ran, had a bad head gasket (did you replace that??), yet you swopped it into your 89, just because your running 89 had a transmission problem?

not so sure that was a good move;)

I would have dropped the bad transmission and had it rebuilt!

(simply swopping the transmissions would have been a gamble too, as if the 87 never ran, you have no idea if that transmission was any good either)

so as a last ditch, before you pull and swop back the engines, can you
1. post a photograph of the distributor on your 87 engine, with the cap removed
and
2. post a photo of your coil, showing what wires are connected where.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts