Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at an 89 spider quadrofolio and getting back into the alfa game as my mother is looking for one this one seems to be pretty clean and it also has the factory hardtop. I know that the fuel injection is an issue with these cars as the electrical right?? What do I need to look for? What are the price ranges for these cars? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
Depends really strongly on condition. In the Bay Area, 80's Spiders typically go for, I dunno, 3-7k these days?

Looks like they're asking $5200, whether that's reasonable or not depends on the condition and any work it needs.

The fuel injection is Bosch L-Jetronic which is reasonably well known and trouble free. Be sure it passes smog, of course.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
For what it is worth, I bought my 86 Spider Quad with 100K miles a year ago for $2500. Car was solid in body and engine and drove back from Atlanta. In the course of the year I have done the following:

- New brakes, shocks and tires
- Replaced leaking head gasket and did a cylinder head rebuild
- Replaced fuel tank and sender unit
- Tune up, fuel pump (in-tank and main), various new relays and switches
- New (used) power window regulators and a $150 switch to run them from Centerline
- New heater valve; this has been the most painful project I have done because of access and corrosion

Long story short, I have spent about another $5K in the year and still need to rework the interior and paint.
I agree with Tom, the L-Jet is reliable and I have not had big ticket items like the AFM or ECU fail. electrically, the car is fine except for a PO (not the guy I bought it from) did a backyard job on wiring in a CD changer and amplifier to the fuel pump fuse.....found that out after the car stopped running.
Major issues on parts are:

- Instrument cluster is the monopod…..no new parts, have to find used ones and cannibalize
- Switches (power window, etc. are expensive)

I like the look of the quad with the ground effects and wheels, $5200 may be a good price if you do not have to do everything I said above. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Even though they have been rising in the last months, Spider prices are still quite low compared to what they were before the economy took a dive... Hence, it is more than likely that a $5k Quad is not over priced. (If the car is clean and it comes with its hard top, then it is more than fairly priced.) It is important to note nonetheless, that in that price range, buyers should expect to spend an additional $5k on their new purchase. At least, when I help newcomers locate a Spider, I always explain that they will find a lot that needs to be done, and an addiitonal $5k is exactly what I tell them to expect in getting the car back to a reasonable factory spec level. The only time this is not the case is when a car comes with a stack of receipts form a reputable Alfa shop, but those cars are typically priced a lot higher precisely because one will not need to spend an additional $5k and a lot more down the road. Spending more up front is typically a lot cheaper than buying an inexpensive car and fixing it.

Best regards,

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to see the car today and in my opinion not worth 5200 but at least I know what to look for in these spiders thanks for the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts