Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The was been running great for sometime now, a new record. All of a sudden I noticed a large loss of engine power. I check the sparkplugs and plug 2 was badly burnt, the other 3 were worn, but not terriable.
I replaced all four sparkplugs and not much change. I also replaced the distributor cap, rotor and new sparkplug wires.

There is still no power to the car when it drives. It drives, but has no pick up or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas, or had a similar problem ?

Thanks
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Have you tried checking for air leaks.

I picked up my wife at work last night and on the way home the car would stumble a little when I left from a stop sign and seemed to be low on power.
When I got home I looked under the hood and my large intake hose was just hanging on the AFM by a wisker. I'm sure that a gap was opening up when I stepped on the gas causing the air leak. I fitted the hose properly and all is good with the world (or at least my Alfa). :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1989 lost engine power

I check all the hoses in the begining hoping that was the problem, they all were tight, thanks for thoughts. Hopefully some will know about spark plugs I am thinking that it is a bad fuel injector.

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
One of those spark plugs doesn't just look 'burned' - it looks like it is missing the electrodes.

Since you say you've replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor we will assume they are all now OK. Are you certain the spark plug wires are installed in the correct firing order? Can you do a compression test? That will rule out any internal derangements.

The advice to check for air/vacuum leaks is good. L-jet does not tolerate "false air'. How about the AFM (Air Flow Meter)? Is the electrical harness plug firmly attached? Look inside the connector for any loose/displaced terminals. Make sure the flap in the AFM moves smoothly.

Check the flywheel sensors. IIRC, it is possible for one to fail and cause the symtoms you describe (will start but no power/won't rev up). Unfortunately I don't remember which one can fail & cause that. So check them both & also check that they are both securely attached at the bell housing. I've seen sensors that test OK at the harness plug but the sensor itself was loose at the bellhousing thus not able to 'sense' the magnet in the flywheel.

Certainly an injector can fail. You can use a long screwdriver as a stethescope to listen for each one clicking. Rest the screwdriver blade on the injector, put your ear against the handle and you should hear a rapid clicking (engine running). Remember that the computer adjusts the injector output based on input from the O2 sensor. But it doesn't adjust each cylinder seperately - it just averages things out. So, if there is an air leak or faulty injector, the computer will adjust the fuel flow trying to compensate. Thus, if one cylinder is too lean (faulty injector or air leak) the others will end up too rich.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
That burnt plug looks like cylinder temp was too high possibly due to a lean mixture. Since it is only one cylinder I would look real hard at a possible leak in it's intake tract.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1989 engine power lose

I am going to go through entire tune up process tomorrow out lined in Greg's tune up. I have done it before and located several problem ready to go.

I did change out plugs, distributor cap and rotor cap. rotor looked worn on one side. NOthing changed in how it ran, still no power.
So I will follow the advise that has always been great.

I have always seem to have flywheel sensor problems and will check it right away.

If the mixture is lean, and burned off part of plug, am I short air or gas. If I am short gas does that look like injector is bad since the other plugs look good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1989 engine power loss

Started on the car today,it would start.
So I started through the bosch L-jectronic spider 34 pages.
1. The large intake hose only had three hoels. Lokking at injcetors hoses were all cracked. I had replaced all of the other hoses with silcon ones last year.
2. Looking at he cranks and problem with spark plugs I took the fuel system completely apart. I am now trying to decide where to send my injectors to so that they can be clean.
3. I have the fuel rai off and it it has all of the injectors still on. Trying to decide should I send to Ok injectors or to someone else. I like the idea of sending out the entire rail system and putting back together. Does any one else have any other ideas or better place to send injectors out to.

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
OK Injectors is run by Greg Gordon - he posts on this BB often, hosts the Spider L-jet page and is an asset to the Alfa Community (note - that is a compliment...!). You will pay a little more if you send the entire fuel rail but they can then replace the rail to injector hoses and also test the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1989 engine power loss

I would like to send it out in the morning. Not sure on the price. I can break it down but it seems better to send one piece and have tested before and after and if not to expense I can just put it back on.
Does any one know about what it will cost.

Also since I have off rail should I take off intake manafold or just clean. I don't think I have any leaks but everything is off.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1989 engine power lose

I sent the rails and injectors to Okinjectors today. They quoted 156.00 to clean up everything and send back ready to pull back in. I will keep everyone posted.

While I was taking parts off the car I found two things.
1. The flywheel sensor housing was broken showing all three wires. If these wires were grounging out and touching the frame would this cause the power lose.
2. All four of the injector connectors are broken. What is the best way to put on new connectors without having connection problems.

·
Administrator
17,507 Posts
1. The flywheel sensor housing was broken showing all three wires. If these wires were grounging out and touching the frame would this cause the power lose.
Assuming you mean grounding out then yes, I would assume this is a problem.

2. All four of the injector connectors are broken. What is the best way to put on new connectors without having connection problems.
Contact OK Injectors. They can supply new connectors that come with 3"-4" of wire so you can cut off the old ones and splice in new ones. (If you are really clever you might be able to release the connectors from inside the old ones and install them into the new ones. But splicing with a soldered joint covered with heat shrink tube would be a good, permanent repair.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1989 engine power loss

On the wiring should I solder and heat shrink, or use a butt connecter with heat shrink.

I read an earlier thread that said the car will still run if flywheel connector is bad. It said it would not start but if grounding happens after start that it would continue to run. Would the ground cause engine loss.

I hope to have injectors back ealry in the week and will probalby need help putting it back together.
thanks for your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts