Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of entering an 89 stock 2L spider in an anything goes autocross and drag race event. Ok its sort of anything goes. It's a low budget event and I can't spend more than $2014 on the entire car. I can get new tires an it doesn't count toward the $2014 budget.
I'm sure the spider will do ok in the autocross. I plan to lighten it up as much as possible and take off the front and rear bumpers and the passenger seat. Working on engine tune up and replace hoses with the hi performance silicon hoses to reduce air leaks, replace rotor and cap and new spark plugs.
I have about $300 budget left for any other mod maybe a squadra chip?
Any other ideas about how to reduce 1/4 mile time from 17sec to 15sec??
Yes I know, why a 89 spider? It's what I have and why not give it a try.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Here is a fun calculator that gets to the heart of the matter:

1/4 Mile ET Calculator

Here's the data I found for the 89 Spider

Power 128 bhp / 95 KW @ 5500 rpm

Weight 1161 kilo / 2559.6 lbs

Setting the calculator to Flywheel Horsepower, it generates a time of 16.96, amazingly close to the 17 seconds you mention above.

So, unless you can generate more than a few horsepower with the chip or other changes to the engine, you would have to drop wet weight of the car, including driver to 1900 lbs to hit 15 seconds.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Nitrous. A home made nitrous system can be cheap and give tons of short term power. I really wouldn't bother with a chip for this type of event.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
afaik, the squadra chip is only made for the S4 spiders (Motronic ML4.1)

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Autocross! Wo woo!

91spiderNV

GOTTA BE RENO!

How did I miss this? SCCA? Stead or Reno Fernley? When?

I'm in Carson City. Let's PM and conspire.

My Autocross experience has resulted in the best times (so to speak) by operating the throttle digitally (taking a bit of care with transitions, especially getting back on). Seldom out of 2nd gear and easy back on coming off the tight apexes. If she starts to let go, stay on the throttle or you will ground loop (easier said than done!). Acceleration is dismal, so the big challenge is carrying as much speed out of the turns as possible. Over-brake and there goes the mph.

OK, that's everything I think I know about Autocross!

I agree the best way to improve performance is lighten the load. Don't forget to pull that full-size spare! Also, the ash try and cigarette lighter come out easily. Make sure your radio antenna is down (windage) and fold up the side mirrors. The past don't matter at Autocross. I usually turn my inside mirror up too, so I'm not tempted to look back at all the cones I've killed.

You'll be deep in the throttle most of the time (WOT) so timing will default to the rpm map in the ignition ECU (no VSD effect), the LJet ECU will be pulsing max fuel and the VSD should be doing it's best to assist by cranking exhaust timing to (?): insert tutorial on VSD here (anybody?). You may also want to check the throttle linkage and make sure the butterfly is going full open.

I've seen discussions here about adjusting the air flow sensor, but would approach that option with great care.

Have a ball!

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Almost forgot!

No rev limiter. Watch that tach!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did it in my 89 Veloce here in St. Louis SCCA Event 8 10/1/17. I ran stock and happen to have new Goodyear all season tires of all things from PO. Put anextra 5 lbs in those and borrowed a helmet. $55 including 1 day membership and had a blast. Made mincemeat out of any slalam setup and yes, it's easy for the rear to want to slide out on the fast longer turns. (Ya live on the edge and maybe next time have a little less air back there). Or, get some stickier tires?
Lot's of Miatas and sedans. Was the only Alfa. Everyone came by to check it out. Too bad there were no MGBs or Triumphs to whip up on. Did well though. Wobbled a cone or two but had 6 clean runs! Awesome.

Francipio

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I did it in my 89 Veloce here in St. Louis SCCA Event 8 10/1/17. I ran stock and happen to have new Goodyear all season tires of all things from PO. Put anextra 5 lbs in those and borrowed a helmet. $55 including 1 day membership and had a blast. Made mincemeat out of any slalam setup and yes, it's easy for the rear to want to slide out on the fast longer turns. (Ya live on the edge and maybe next time have a little less air back there). Or, get some stickier tires?
Lot's of Miatas and sedans. Was the only Alfa. Everyone came by to check it out. Too bad there were no MGBs or Triumphs to whip up on. Did well though. Wobbled a cone or two but had 6 clean runs! Awesome.

Francipio
It's too bad that our spiders are not really competitive in autocross anymore. They get put in the same class as cars like the Mazdaspeed Miata, which has an extra 50hp, the benefit of an independent rear suspension, and wider tires available within the rules. I've thought about running my spider in SSM class (which is just about anything goes within the confines of stock suspension mounting points and no cutting of the body), but realistically it's still going to get creamed by a similarly prepped Miata. That said, the spiders are still tons of fun to throw around.

As for making a spider (or any car) better at autocross, tires are the absolute most important thing. The current autocross kings in the street class are the Bridgestone RE71-R and the BFG Rival S 1.5. They will be worth several seconds a run over an all-season tire like what you are running. But if you are new to the sport, better to spend a season learning rather than modifying your car. The difference between a novice driver and an expert is at least triple the difference between tires. I'd bet on national champ in a Nissan Versa rental car handily beating a novice in a La Ferrari.

Also curious about the original thread starter. Ever run that GRM 2014 challenge? As was originally discussed, nitrous, forced induction, or a v6 swap is the only way you are going to get a spider to run a respectable 1/4 mile without spending oodles of cash.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do you autocross guys also run chassis stiffeners? I'd love to see how my car handles now with one. It's way better than my TR6 or my old 320iS with Eibocks and bars. Maybe this summer, if I can keep it running long enough to enjoy it!:punk:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Do you autocross guys also run chassis stiffeners? I'd love to see how my car handles now with one. It's way better than my TR6 or my old 320iS with Eibocks and bars. Maybe this summer, if I can keep it running long enough to enjoy it!:punk:
I have a partial cage on mine which adds to stiffness, though I would like additional stiffening. Chassis stiffener should provide some benefits, but I wouldn't expect miracles- especially if your suspension is still mostly stock. Again, nothing you can do to a spider will make it competitive in SCCA autocross. The rules are designed so that competitive cars are relatively late model cars with common availability- they want to avoid rare "holy grail" type cars becoming ringers within a class. That said, I'd love it if they added a classic Euro class like they've done with the CAM (classic American muscle) class.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I believe that George Schweikel - conedriver has had success with his spider in autocross and I think that he has posted about his setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts