Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question isn't about seatbelts but regards the panel which holds the levers for trunk and gas lid. I've made a pretty elaborate metal backing for this panel, but know it won't hold up to pulling on the trunk latch. I'm considering installing a lighter spring on the trunk latch. All the spring does is close the one side of the latch so that it locks the 'lid pin' in.

I just want to know if anyone has done this successfully.

Biba

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom, thanks a lot. After sending the post I found my collection of springs and have installed a lighter spring. I have the latch semi loose in that the cable is still attached, but when I pull back on the pull lever the latch won't open. I have to pull back on the lever, all the way, then using closed needle nose pliers slip it into the hole where the lid's latch would be when closed - and it then opens. I cannot figure out the logic of the opening part. On the pull side of the latch, it is easy to see inside and a lever almost comes up to where the 'arm' of the movable latch is, but not far enough to give it a nudge to open it. Logic to me says on the other side, inside the latch, the lever releases the movable latch, and the other end of the pull part gives it a nudge upward - if for no other reason than a fail safe arrangement (unless the cable breaks).

The internal spring is very strong, but for whatever reason - even after squirting it with some thin aircraft quality oil - the latch will not go up when the lever is pulled all the way back. One could make it a two person trunk opening routine in that one pulls on the lever and the other pulls the lid up. Not too convenient.

I have a phone call into Larry at APE to see if he can find a latch which will pop up with no problem. I think what was opening the lid before was the pressure on the trunk's rubber seal. I'd rather not have to depend on that.

The spring I have on it is larger in diameter, but about half the pressure of the original one. I'm going to try to get one which has just enoug oomph to pull the lever back. The cable itself slides fine.

Biba

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, I ended up stealing (from myself) a much better and identical trunk latch, whereas the latching part that moves/closes pops up really well. I push it closed, pull the 'trigger', and it immediately pops up. I got a spring (actually bought a bunch) from an Ace Hardware and the lightest one that worked the best was a Century Spring C-29. Not sure if this is a standard spring for all Ace Hardware stores or not, but if one's locking latch pops up easily, this light spring will save your lower, rear. B-pillar panel. I'd guess that between the 'new' latch and light spring, the pull pressure is about 1/3rd what it was before. Now the gas lid lever is the hardest to pull.

Biba

1 - 4 of 4 Posts