Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
Put the nut back on - loose even with the end of the pin and get a bigger hammer. Apply Italian curse words with appropriate hand motions. Putting the nut on loosely for two reasons. 1) it prevents damage to the threaded section from hammer blows. And B) it prevents the pin from flying off to parts unknown when it does come loose.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I think he is trying to do it without removing the master cylinders. Probably doesn't have enough room to use a hammer.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
always put the nut on before hitting it it must be flush with the top of the pin before hitting it. use a punch and do not hit the nut directly to minimize the bending the nut too much. the option that is easier is to remove the pedal box. good luck

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,093 Posts
Never had to do this job but when I have something I cant get a swing at I break out my palm nailer.... almost as good as an impact wrench.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So.... Whew! I got it out without damaging it (yay)-- Now its not going in, been trying for about 90 mins. Trying to look into the gap and move the lever to the best position. I can get it in to about 1/8 below the hole (not making it all the way thru). But that's about it. No way my fingers alone will get it any further.
My back and these finger cramps are making me call it a day. I will pick back up in the am tomorrow... Thanks for the support =)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think he is trying to do it without removing the master cylinders. Probably doesn't have enough room to use a hammer.
Yep- but I managed to pull it out just enough to get a small hammer on it. Took a bit of effort, but it came out eventually.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I'm thinking the shape of the groove in the new centerline lever (which is really nice btw) is not flat like the original, but beveled a bit. Thinking about getting the Dremel out and taking a little bit off the bolt in that area. Thoughts?
Also, you guys rock- becoming a premium member as soon as I get a job =) Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help!

PS: Can I get a copy of this too?
Do you have a copy of Papajam's (RIP) color coded wire diagrams for your Alfa?
If not, let us know. I'll send you copies that will make chasing Alfa electrons a lot easier.

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
PS: Can I get a copy of this too?
Do you have a copy of Papajam's (RIP) color coded wire diagrams for your Alfa?
If not, let us know. I'll send you copies that will make chasing Alfa electrons a lot easier.
Sent via a Conversation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the wiring diagrams! That will be another project down the line as I too have many mysterious unhooked plugs and wires in the dash.

I used a Dremel and just made the flat part of the bolt a little flatter (1mm or so). That allowed the bolt to get thru enough for me to get the nut on and pull it the rest of the way as it tightened. Got it all back in and it's working great. I can't explain the sudden firmness in my brake pedal, but they seem to be working correctly. Did a 'emergency stop' on a test drive and they were solid.
Thank you so much for all the help guys, you all rock! I really appreciate it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts