Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear List:
My 1988 Spider Veloce has factory A/C, and when the A/C is turned on the auxiliary cooling fan, (front of radiator) also comes on and works well. However, my understanding is that it should ALSO activate if engine/coolant temperatures get too warm, and that there is a temperature sensor on the fan shroud that activates this, (and that it will even run after the car is off if it is still too hot). Am I correct in this?
Also, i understand that there is a relay somewhere that can also go "bad" and affect this action.
Since my fan DOES work, but does not activate in both of these conditions, is it safe to assume that either the relay or the sensor is bad?
Also, does anyone have a photo or diagram of where those items are?
THANKS very much. Big Road Trips this summer so preparing car for hotter temps for driving!
Cheers
Andy Smith

·
Registered
235 Posts
You've got it correct. temp sensor that turns fan on due to excessive temps is mounted on pass side of fan shroud, near ignition coil. it looks about the size of a thick watch battery.

Regarding the relay, it is mounted on the passenger side fender well, just aft of the oil seperator.

I've only had the fan go on a few times with the A/C off. I suppose you could take a heat gun or electric hair dryer and point it at the sensor to perform a functional check.

My experience is Alfa Romeo Spiders rarely have cooling problems...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Dear List:
My 1988 Spider Veloce has factory A/C, and when the A/C is turned on the auxiliary cooling fan, (front of radiator) also comes on and works well. However, my understanding is that it should ALSO activate if engine/coolant temperatures get too warm, and that there is a temperature sensor on the fan shroud that activates this, (and that it will even run after the car is off if it is still too hot). Am I correct in this?
Also, i understand that there is a relay somewhere that can also go "bad" and affect this action.
Since my fan DOES work, but does not activate in both of these conditions, is it safe to assume that either the relay or the sensor is bad?
Also, does anyone have a photo or diagram of where those items are?
THANKS very much. Big Road Trips this summer so preparing car for hotter temps for driving!
Cheers
Andy Smith
You are correct, I believe. The sensor is a tiny and goofily (a word?) attached metal device on the plastic fan shroud, say, about 10:00 o'clock position, facing the car from the front. It is attached with only one screw (on mine), even though there are 2 screw holes in it. Can you find it? Of course, it is attached to an elec wire (or 2). Sorry, I dont have the car here to look at, son has it at college.

Joe

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've asked the same question regarding my 1986 Spider- never got a correct answer...

The local Alfa mechanic says the fan will come on when the AC is turned on, but the fan won't come on without AC being turned on unless the car is nearly boiling over.

Anyone have a picture of the sensor they can share? Anyone know at about what temp reading the fan should go on? Does this mean the fan should turn on even after the engine is turned off? (This has NEVER happened on my 1986 Spider)

Bottom line- I've never worried much about it. Knowing the temp gauge is inaccurate, and knowing the gauge rarely- if ever- has gone beyond midpoint range, it seems like I'm being neurotic being concerned about it.

Now, if someone could prove that the engine would last 50,000 miles more if the fan came on at say 200 degrees, I might be concerned. But knowing that ain't true...

Duke

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Haven't got a picture, but can tell you for sure the fan can come on with the ignition off and the key out of the switch if the sensor reads hot enough.

I know if you wave a cigarette lighter at it for a a second or two, the fan will most definitely kick on and stay on 'til the sensor drops below X temperature again if the curicut, sensor and relay is good. (I don't have a heat gun and the hair drier was in the house while the lighter was right there in my pocket)

The sensors purpose is to kick the fan in an overheat condition and that by design it will continue to run after you shut down, get out, and head back in the house for a cold one.

What actual temperatures that occurs at, I've no clue. :shrug:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GREAT! Fantastic Information. I will try the lighter/hairdryer trick this evening and report back to the list. As usual, I could not keep this car running without the folks on the list! Thanks a million
Andy

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks, Tifosi.

I replaced my fan shroud last year and don't recall anything being attached to it. I'll have a look around tonight or this weekend for the temperature sensor. Maybe that's why it won't work...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It'll look something like the attached and prolly brass or silver colored.

The round part is about as big around as a AA battery and about 1/3 as long.

The oval flange part with cutouts in the ends is where the anchor screws would go.

(wire colors not correct and representative only)

Edited to add photo of sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
I believe it kicks on at around 185F (a hair past middle)---that is, the system turns the fan on when the water temp gauge reads 185ish....the actual surface temperature of the sensor is unknown at that point, as is the actual water temperature.

Mine activated itself once before during a traffic jam in the desert at about 115F air temp. I was on and off the clutch in 1st gear, sitting in a group of other hot cars on hot pavement, after I had been driving at 80-90mph for the last hour or two. Pretty much a limiting condition, I would think. The aux fan didn't do much good.....it prolonged the amount of time I had until I had to shut it down, but I still ended up having to turn the car off when the warning light came on.

I felt a bit sheepish sitting on the side of the road in an Italian car waiting for it to stop overheating....lol...

·
Registered
23 Posts
hmmm... is an aux fan standard eqipment? my '86 veloce doesn't presently have one, and i have had temp problems in extreme conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks. ok. so someone at some point removed mine. dangit.
The AC is nonfunctioning, though, so maybe that's why they did it, not thinking it could be useful even without AC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
WOW! Scary almost; I just picked my '90 Quad up from getting new springs, and damned if my fan won't turn OFF, and I wake up to find this thread going. I pulled the -battery cable off last night because I couldn't seem to find anything that would break that circuit. Now I'll go out and poke around during lunch.
Anything under the das, left knee-area that would be related? Bunch of wires & junctions under there look like they need attention this weekend.

Cardisk here I come...

Frank

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Hmm, I am confused... I have a 88 Veloce with AC and no second cooling fan... I also had a 87 that also did not have a second cooling fan..

I wonder if the doofus who but my engine through the radiator never re-installed it or if the car never had one?

Ed

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.