Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 88 Spider Quad last year. With 35,000 miles I would have expected some maintenance issues and found one with the radio. Apparently there were some electrical wiring changes for the factory radio installed, which is still used. According to maintenance records, when the car was originally purchased in 1988, a mechanic was chasing down a battery drain problem. Thinking the source was the radio and antenna, he ran constant power to the radio and disconnected the power lead behind the radio that serves the power antenna. The black/red wire behind the radio that goes to the antenna has been taped. Now I am not sure where the power antenna lead behind the radio is powered from. There is a connector that has a vacant space but no lead entering on either side of the connector. If anyone has a photo or radio wiring diagram that may help solve my problem it would be appreciated. I have had no luck searching around. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The antenna should have 3 leads: a ground, a constant 12V, and the control wire attached to the radio.

The antenna control wire that is connected to the radio supplies power to a relay attached to the antenna.

When the radio is turned on, power is fed to the relay (from the radio) via the red/black control wire, the relay switched is closed, and the antenna extends. When the radio is turned off, power to the control wire is cut off (or the wire is grounded), the relay switch opens, and the antenna retracts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mario, Thank you for your reply. I apologize that I did not get back to you sooner. Took a trip and ended up with brochitus. A bummer. What I have finally realized that someone had rewired the radio taking power off the ignition switch. In doing that, they removed the constant power to the antenna. The green/black wire to the antenna is correctly connected to the switch circuit at the radio to the antenna. So now I will capture the constant power at the radio, fuse that circuit behind the radio, then split to the radio and the red/black wire to the antenna. I get heart burn thinking that there might be unfused 12v power threaded through the car. Once again, thank your for your reply. It was a great help in understanding how this thing worked. Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts