Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lee, from your photos, it looks like you have several different issues here.

First and last photo would lead me to believe that someone had installed an aftermarket alarm or anti theft system. It may have been removed, or it may still be there and the reason your car won't start. Some of these systems may be left off, but automatically arm themselves if the battery goes very low, dead, or gets disconnected.

Your automatic seat belts probably don't work, or have been replaced with normal belts. The motor you show being disconnected runs the power track for the seat belt. I believe the Cipro boxes you mention and show are the control boxes for the automatic belts. There should be 2, one for each seat belt. If they've been disconnected and the belts have been replaced with normal ones, these control boxes and motors would no longer be used or needed. However, if they're not being used, someone may have used them as a power supply or source for something else. For example, an aftermarket sound system, or extra lighting. I could be wrong, but from what I recall, 1988 was about the only year these automatic seat belts were used. I don't remember if it was due to the problems with them, or if people just didn't like them, but their use was very brief.

Hope this helps. If it is an anti theft or alarm system, it's easy to remove it and return your car to stock condition. Just disconnect everything wherever you see it spliced. Be careful and do one part at a time, making sure you splice any of the original wires back together as they were originally. Make sure you match both the color codes of the wires and the size of the wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lee, I have the same wiring splices or modifications at one of the Cipro boxes on my '88 Veloce. I've seen it on several others also. I never took the time to track it down or figure out just what it was for, but I would guess that since it seems to be common on '88 spiders, it may be some type of factory authorized modification or change. If anyone knows for certain what this was for, please let us all know. I spent over 40 years as a dealer in sport cars and had many Alfas over the years. Throughout the late '60s, the '70s, and into the '80s, I can tell you that most sport or imported cars with radios or AC, had units that were installed by the importer or dealer. They were pre-wired by the factory as much as possible, and most units were sold through the importers or distributors, so they were considered factory. This could account for the same type of modifications or changes on so many different cars being the same. I can also tell you from experience that I have personally removed literally several hundred of these aftermarket anti-theft or alarm systems. They are fairly easy if you're careful. Just look at what was cut or spliced into, and when you match it back up to the original, make sure you match the color and size. For example, red wire with black tracer to another of the same, but only if they are both the same wire gauge. So don't match a 14 gauge to a 10 gauge even though they may be the same colors. Very seldom you may find a system that splits or separates them at a factory junction where they might lead in one way and come out differently. That's where the wiring diagram will be very helpful. This forum is great at helping people, so please pass along what you find and save someone else some time and trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the others that the Cipro and seat belt system has nothing to do with the fuel pump problem. But I think Lee and I are both curious if anyone knows what the spliced in wires were for. I have the identical ones on my car also and have seen it on several other '88 spiders; so I'm thinking it must have been a modification designed and authorized by Alfa. If Lee isn't curious, I still am, so please, if anyone knows what these were spliced in for, share the info with me.
As for the fuel pump issue, you all could certainly be correct about the fuses or relays. However, I still believe that the photos look like it has had an aftermarket anti theft system installed. If it has not been removed or bypassed properly, it could be causing the problem. Many of these systems were designed to keep the cars from running. Most of them did this by eliminating the spark or the fuel. The easiest ways to keep it from running. They spliced their controls into the wiring to the coil or the fuel pump, and unless the system was turned off properly, or removed, the cars would not run. I have removed hundreds of these in the past 40 years; so my thought would be to be sure that any anti theft system has been removed properly and that the wiring is back to the factory original design. Then if it still has no power to the fuel pump, check out the fuses and relays, etc. But if it still has an anti theft system, all of the checking of these other things isn't going to do much good, because something may be deliberately cutting off the power to the pump.
I certainly could be wrong, but 40 years in the car business has taught me that in the vast majority of cases, when they look like this under the dash and have that hidden micro switch, there is (or was) an anti theft system installed. And it may, or may not, still be active; or may not have been removed correctly.
As I said originally, I think you have several different issues going on here. And if there are different issues, I think the logical way to go about things, or the best order to do them in, would first be make sure the wiring system is configured in the manner that it came from the factory. Once you have it back to the original wiring system (at least closely matching the diagram), you have a starting point to work on the other issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts