Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to replacing my 2-point automatic belts with 3-point belts. Has anyone done this? Can't find anything searching the forum. Any help/hints would be appreciated. Especially help on removing the belt rail and attaching hardware.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Motorized Mouse Mess!

Hi
I've never actually done the complete replacement, but we've scrapped a couple of Quads with this system. If I recall, you need to remove the carpeting on the outside rocker rail and see what needs to be unbolted. The original seat belt bolt hole should still be in there somewhere. The reel system is in the back seat. Do you have a set of 3 point belts yet? It might be easier if you have a 3 point car handy to look at the installation. Perhaps Larry at APE has done the whole job.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Been there, Done that. The Rat Runner equipment is removed along with the secondary side carpet pieces. You use the rear anchor bolt holes for the rat runner to install the pull over side of the 3 point set. There are 3 point anchor threaded holes on the sides of the tunnel, not used on the 88 and neatly plugged with plastic plugs. Just remove the plugs, make a hole in the tunnel carpet, and you are ready to bolt in the latch sides of the 3 pointers. How thoughtful of Alfa to provide these plugged anchor holes. But they unthoughtfully did NOT provide holes to install the inertial reels behind the seats. That you have to do yourself. And your rear carpet shelf is not inertial reel freindly. I got around this by buying a good used rear shelf carpet out of a Spider which DID have the inertial reels. This also got rid of the section in the center of the shelf carpet which allows the rat rail shoulder belts to exit from under the shelf carpet. I removed that heavy homemade looking poorly welded anchor in the center of the chassis under the carpet shelf where the center shoulder belts were anchored. I left the electronic control boxes in place because I had no idea what odd kinds of problems might occur if I removed them, since they are hard wired into at least part of the wiring harness. I solved the problem of the 2 red seat belt warning lights in the instrument pod by just removing the bulbs.

On editing this I realized I neglected to address the belt guide on the seat back issue. You will have to switch seat backs to get the belt guides on the outside vic the inside, of the seat backs. The top will still raise and lower if you do this. I went the direction of replacing the seats entirely, but this was because of the poor covers I had, not the guide issue. I relaced the seats with a set out of an 86 and thus solved the guide issue at the same time as the cover issue.

All this on a 1988 Veloce which eventually went by the by. I replaced the 88 Veloce with an 88 Quad, which for some reason, and joyfully, came with the 3 point seat belt system. Go figure. You have to love Alfas, otherwise all this would make you hate them.

If you have any particular questions, or just want sympathy, email me at

[email protected]

Robert Hill in Memphjis, TN

1959 1300 Spider, long gone
1988 S3 black Veloce now being resurrected in Chattanooga Tn
1988 S3 red Quad - definately the best of the lot

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did the complete conversion [there are some photos and info that i posted last year on the forum].

The sill plates are secured with sheet metal screws--remove them and then the carpeted plates. The rails themselves are secured with a half dozen cross head bolts and a larger bolt at the rear where you will anchor your 3 pt belts after removal. As Robert stated the inboard anchor holes are there--jsut remove the plug. In the rear parcel shelf none of the factory brackets [welded in for 3pt belts] are there. I had a shop fabricate two brackets for each side from cardboard mockups. You need one down on the bottom of the shelf to hold the inertia reel and then one further up the back to "guide" the belt through a reverse turn up to the seat back belt holder. BTW, on mine i did swap the seat backs but the passive restraint guides are taller and at a different angle then the others so that the soft top would not erect. I purchased a used set from and 86 and swapped them out as well. I did remove all of the electronic control units for the system without any problem..they are plugged in with multiple pin connectors. BTW, i probably spend nearly $500 on the conversion but wanted it done correctly. Good luck.

photos of brackets..

·
Registered
554 Posts
By the way, the brackets in the rear floor shelf are through bolted with grade 8 hardware down into the frame member that carries the stresses of the trailing arm. the shelf floor itself and the sheet metal below it are way too weak for my taste. even the factory weld in brackets are IMHO relying on thin guage sheet metal to not pull out of the floor--perhaps they have thicker spreader metal plates below the shelf--i have never seen?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
"" on mine i did swap the seat backs but the passive restraint guides are taller and at a different angle then the others so that the soft top would not erect""

I had heard this but I ended up with several sets of belt guides off 88's, 86's and a pair of 89"s and I could never tell a bit of difference in any of them. I spoke with Louie at DeNoya and several others, and some said they are different and some said there is no difference on the rat runner system. I gave up and really have no idea which story is correct.

Robert

·
Registered
38 Posts
SpiderHolley... after emailing Robert I decided to ditch the passive restraints in my '87 Spider and bought a set of 3-point belts from an '85. It's been a few years but am interested in a set of brackets like the ones you show in this thread. I like that approach versus cutting them from a salvage car. Can I buy those brackets and if so who is the shop to contact? If not, I think I can fab them up myself in which case can you send me the basic dimensions? Thanks much! Alex

·
Registered
857 Posts
Bigger the bracket the better? Weld in.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts