Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'88 Spider with 41,000 miles. Radiator had some pinhole leaks and before I could repair/replace, the water pump started leaking and now needs replaced. I'm the second owner (3 years) and am good about maintenance.

Also have an '85 Spider so I'm used to maddening mechanical issues but this one really galls me. Ugh.

Would appreciate any thoughts (or similar experiences) on what could have caused this or why both at the SAME time? Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,698 Posts
Belt too tight can mess up the pump bearing, but other than that probably just an old part or bad luck.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Belt too tight can mess up the pump bearing, but other than that probably just an old part or bad luck.
Agreed. Belt tension and old age of the existing parts makes them vulnerable to failure

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Agree with Gubi and pantera928: probably just a coincidence that both radiator and water pump failed at the same time. Heck, I'd call that lucky! You need to remove the radiator anyway to get at the pump, so better that it died now, rather than two weeks after you had pulled it to replace the pump.

Are you confident that the coolant is fresh and contains enough antifreeze? While I know it doesn't freeze in Tampa, your Alfa needs the anti-corrosive properties of antifreeze.

The radiator can probably be repaired, rather than replaced, if you have an old-school radiator shop in your area. If you go this route, have them flow test the radiator to ensure that the core isn't clogged.

·
Push hard and live
11,088 Posts
Possibly 144,000 miles?

This is actually not that bad of a job.

Remove radiator and take it to shop.
Order new pump, fan shroud, alternator, hoses, belts, and radiator support cushions
Remove alternator, engine crankshaft pulley. Water pump.
Clean everything up.
When parts arrive, reinstall.

It helps to have a good impact wrench.
It helps if you don't have AC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everybody for your advice and comments!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts