Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First could someone please explain to me what is supposed to be accomplished by the three electrical contacts that the three switches for the license plates rest on when the trunk is closed? Are the lights to go out when the trunk lid is opened when the steering wheel light switch is on? The interior trunk light does go on with trunk open so logically that might be one of the three switches, but closing any one or all three of them (as in pushing them in) doesn't turn it off.

And finally, the main question, where is the power source for the license plate lights? I've found that only the far right, yellow/black wire on the switch pad rest is hot. None of the three wires either to the three switches or the three lights is hot with the switches either open or closed.

For me, this is a strange one. I'd ask which fuse these lights are on, but it is such a jumble of fuses under the dash doubt if it would do much good. Or is it a matter of pulling fuses one at a time game?

Biba

·
Registered
598 Posts
First could someone please explain to me what is supposed to be accomplished by the three electrical contacts that the three switches for the license plates rest on when the trunk is closed? Are the lights to go out when the trunk lid is opened when the steering wheel light switch is on? The interior trunk light does go on with trunk open so logically that might be one of the three switches, but closing any one or all three of them (as in pushing them in) doesn't turn it off.

And finally, the main question, where is the power source for the license plate lights? I've found that only the far right, yellow/black wire on the switch pad rest is hot. None of the three wires either to the three switches or the three lights is hot with the switches either open or closed.

For me, this is a strange one. I'd ask which fuse these lights are on, but it is such a jumble of fuses under the dash doubt if it would do much good. Or is it a matter of pulling fuses one at a time game?

Biba
It's been a while but one pad is for the License Lights and is "live" when the Headlight swith is on. Second pad is for the Third Brake light and is "live" when the Brake Light switch is closed when the pedal is depressed. The third pad is a common ground for both circuits.

I found most of my License light problems on my Quad was due to bad connections in the bulb holders (rusty).

Dave

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thanks much. I assume the license plate lights then go off when the lid is up. I've just cleaned the insides of each light and checked each out before installing. For now I can't close the trunk lid so will have to see if this fixes them. They were pretty corroded. I also cleaned and checked the brake light.

Biba

1 - 3 of 3 Posts