Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear listers:
My 1988 Milano Verde has a sick transaxle, and is making severe "groans" when I drive it. My mechanic says it's internal and needs to come out. Before I decide anything, has anyone ever
1. sourced a rebuilt transaxle
2. had someone rebuild their transaxle (Northern California preferred)
ANY ideas at all? I appreciate any and all comments!
Best
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
theres quite a few re-builders and when looking i did find quite a few shops with rebuilt units on there shelves just send yours in and out comes a already built unit.......i hunted longer and found a low mile known good unit

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Transaxles are actually pretty easy to work on, but before you go tearing it apart, make sure it is coming from the transaxle. There are two bearings that the clutch rides on, plus the center support bearing. If it is in the transaxle, each of the stub axles has a bearing, then there are some bearings the the internals ride on. I would think there would be some good shops in that area, the two I know of, one is in CT, Performatek and the other is the guy in TX, Andy. I have not used either, but several around have.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Rex Chalmers at Alfa Sport in WI is going to send a rebuilt transaxle. One thing: he is having trouble locating a replacement "clutch" for the LSD (Limited Slip Diff.). Any ideas on source?
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello! Does anyone know if there is a site on the internet where i can order a complete new or rebuilt transaxle (gearbox and differential) for my milano TS?

·
Richard Jemison
7,182 Posts
Transaxle noise

Groan is not very descriptive to use for a diagnostic lead.

But FYI, the friction "drive" clutch plates are more than likely fine. They are no doubt covered in cooked on oil. This is easily removed with a media blasting, or even soaking in Castrol "Super Clean) the purple caustic (alkaline) cleaner.
The mating floater plates come in varying thickness to adjust the stack height. A too loose installed height can be noisey. Setting it up with no clearance (DO NOT PRELOAD) will cause heat that cooks the oil onto the plates, and reduces the amount of pressure to get the most from the LSD. About .010-.015 is plenty. You should be able to slowly turn the drive flanges in opposite direction with a little resistance.
If you are going to set it up with four disk, find a spider donor. That will give you the clutch plates & perhaps the selection of floater plates to stack with.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
No, but it's a bit of a turn-on! hehe.

That's very useful info on the clutch plates. Wouldn't an Alfa specific professional shop know that though? I suppose if I were fixing one for myself, I might media blast, but if you're a shop, it would be wiser to replace any questionable ones with new (if you're gonna warrantee it) yes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts