Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** Car has been sold to another Alfa fan!***

Selling the funnest Alfa I have ever had (and I have had way too many of them…)

Basics:

’88 Milano Verde, almost 113K miles, located in Santa Clara, CA

I bought the car from Roselli’s in San Jose last year during a rare moment where I had no Alfas in my life. The car appealed to me by the fact that it seemed very honest – what you saw is what you got, and that meant a zero rust, in-need of paint Alfa. The intent was to bring the car to a top driver condition by fixing its ailments and giving it a decent coat of paint. I share the Alfa disease, as many of you do I am sure, with the spin that a car needs to be just like the day it was made with zero modifications. During the course of last year, I undertook this task with great enthusiasm until a few months ago when a lovely Giulia Super joined our family. I had hoped to keep both cars, but sadly there is room for only one in my garage and as such today I decided that the Milano must go.

I am about $9K into the car because in the past year it has had the following work done at local shops or by myself:

Replaced:

o Timing belt and all accessory belts (forgot to list this during the initial ad submission!)
o Seats from a rusted Verde that had an excellent interior. As you can see from the photos, apart from a good cleaning and some preventative sewing in a spot or two, the seats are in top condition
o Steering rack and hoses with a refurbished rack and new hoses where needed
o Clutch assembly
o Master and slave clutch cylinders.
o Rear brakes and pads
o Cam cover gaskets
o Headliner with new, correct material
o Several switches with the correct orange (Verde model) ones. A few were replaced by the previous owner with non Verde colored ones
o Castor bushings (only ones that needed to be replaced); car was aligned immediately thereafter
o Oil and oil filter appropriate for this type of engine, as recommended by my mechanic

Installed new:

o Tires (less than 2K miles on them)
o Alpine bluetooth/XM/CD stereo with Rockford Fosgate rear speakers and mic for hands-free phone operation
o Wiper blades (why not mention them!)
o Operating power antenna

Waiting for their installation (have them all - will come with car):

o New exterior door handles and rubber seals
o Front shock bumpers
o Driver’s side inner panel
o Rear badges
It needs:

• Paint job. I was intending to make this the last step of the Milano rejuvenation project so I have not done it yet. Along with the paint job I was going to replace the lower front bumper ($120 at APE) as it was broken by the previous owner during what I guess was a bump on the bumper (hence the collapsed bumper shock)
• Rear main seal: Although other leaks have been sorted out, it does leave a few drops when parked (and smells accordingly as the oil falls on the hot exhaust)
• Sunroof inner panel: I did not make this a priority although I was keeping an eye out for one. Intent was to overhaul the sunroof during the panel’s installation
• A/C recharge: When on, it produces a lightly cooled breeze, but that’s about it
• Driver window mechanism: It needs help going up. Was intending to do when replacing the inner door panel <-- Update: Fixed with refurbished unit and works like a charm

Some commentary on the car:

• As you can see from the new, repaired, replaced components, many of the expensive quirks of the Milano have been addressed
• It drives wonderfully, especially in the twisties. Definitely the most balanced car and by far the best sounding one I have ever had. Sounds are enjoyed with the relative lack of usual Milano squeaks from the front of the dashboard or the rear seat. At 4K RPMs, it is a true joy to anyone with affinity for Italian engines. The headers mounted on the engine certainly help.
• Both ABS and cruise control are in place and operational. Cruise control, I have used once and must admit was not all that confident in its ability to maintain speed but at least it seems to work.
• Standing next to it when running, it smells as if it is running rich. This was intended to be addressed with the eventual purchase of a refurbished air-flow meter, but I never got around to it.
• The HVAC system has been mostly cleaned with lots of dry leaves removed (a consequence of Milanos lacking a grate to prevent leaves from entering the vents)
• I have the shop manual for the 2.5L Milanos that cover most repairs and instructions
• Most of window rubber/seals are in as new condition

I will sell the car as is, i.e. with clear title in my name.

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
I've owned a couple of Verde's. This looks like a good deal, particularly if the ABS is functioning.

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
"so many problems with electricity - this is what I faced with the same one"

Oh sure. Where does he talk about electrical problems? I doubt you know anything about these cars. Just a troll, no offense meant, Norway, lol.

·
Registered
8,763 Posts
No, no Del.. He lives on 5th Ave NY. I haven,t looked up the address, but probably Trump Tower:)

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
Real trolls live in Norway. All Norwegians know that. Web trolls live elsewhere, as you say, maybe Trump tower, home of the loons (don't get me started).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts