Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
To me, this sounds like clogged injectors. I understand your concern with the ECU and AFM and Im not saying that this isn't a problem.
BUT If it will run on starting fluid but not under its own injection, my assumption is that the ECU is sending spark.

Over on the Jaguar V12 forum, many users have had great luck cleaning their injectors with carb cleaner. They pull all injectors off and use a 9v battery (or 12v battery), and have a tube connected to the inlet so that the injectors suck in the cleaner. They attach the ground wire and tap the positive wire on and off for just a second, so that the injector pulls in the carb cleaner.
It is NOT the same as having the injectors cleaned or better yet replaced, but it will show you if the injectors will fire at all. And it will show you if the car will run after the injectors have been cleaned out. My suspicion is that once the old fuel had time to sit in the injectors after running the car, it gelled or maybe it carried rust chunks from the fuel tank into it.
It looks likeI will be removing and sending out the injectors to be cleaned out. I am also going to use a plastic 5 gallon external boat fuel cell with fresh fuel. Then when is running correctly get the original fuel tank cleaned and re sealed. thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Purchased a 88 Spider that’s been sitting for two years with a full tank of gas without being started. I changed the fuel filter and started it up with starting fluid , at 1st on 3 cylinders and then eventually all four firing. Changed the spark plugs and cables and car ran great for one day, still on that full tank of old gas. A week later won’t start, main high pressure fuel pump seized, replaced it with a new Bosch pump and drained the old gas out and replace it premium and now cranks for a few seconds and turns off. With this being said, car has spark and about 30ps of fuel pressure at the return line. If I clap the return line hose it stay on a few extra seconds. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, new low pressure fuel pump in the tank, changed the rubber fuel line from fuel regulator to the metal piping. Switched out the ECU with good spare and still have the same, cranks for a second and dies. With both ECU i have pulse with the injectors using a noid light. If i use starting fluid while cranking it, will stay on. I am thinking its’s either injector issues or maybe a defected air flow sensor? Help!!
the entire fuel system needs to be cleaned out again. Change the filter any time you replace a pump. If it ran well first time you got it to start then you ran it again only to distribute the contaminants all around the system. Don’t play with the flow meter until you eliminate all the fuel variables: clean tank clean filter clean pumps clean injectors clean fuel lines...new clean gas.... then take it from that point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
the entire fuel system needs to be cleaned out again. Change the filter any time you replace a pump. If it ran well first time you got it to start then you ran it again only to distribute the contaminants all around the system. Don’t play with the flow meter until you eliminate all the fuel variables: clean tank clean filter clean pumps clean injectors clean fuel lines...new clean gas.... then take it from that point.
Thank you. I think thats the route I need to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Situation was different, but I had similar issues with my 88 Spider. After several days sitting in the garage it cranked and died immediately. It was electrical. I cleaned up all the connectors in the fuse box e replaced some relays. Now starts fine. Maybe you can try this simple thing if you didn’t already

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased a 88 Spider that’s been sitting for two years with a full tank of gas without being started. I changed the fuel filter and started it up with starting fluid , at 1st on 3 cylinders and then eventually all four firing. Changed the spark plugs and cables and car ran great for one day, still on that full tank of old gas. A week later won’t start, main high pressure fuel pump seized, replaced it with a new Bosch pump and drained the old gas out and replace it premium and now cranks for a few seconds and turns off. With this being said, car has spark and about 30ps of fuel pressure at the return line. If I clap the return line hose it stay on a few extra seconds. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, new low pressure fuel pump in the tank, changed the rubber fuel line from fuel regulator to the metal piping. Switched out the ECU with good spare and still have the same, cranks for a second and dies. With both ECU i have pulse with the injectors using a noid light. If i use starting fluid while cranking it, will stay on. I am thinking its’s either injector issues or maybe a defected air flow sensor? Help!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Look in the inlet of the old fuel pump. There is a very fine meshed screen that plugs up real fast. My Milano had a similar problem. It had been sitting for 8 to 10 years before being resurrected. After sitting a few minutes fuel will seep through screen enough to allow engine to run briefly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Look in the inlet of the old fuel pump. There is a very fine meshed screen that plugs up real fast. My Milano had a similar problem. It had been sitting for 8 to 10 years before being resurrected. After sitting a few minutes fuel will seep through screen enough to allow engine to run briefly.
I have good fuel pressure, i installed two new fuel pumps and fuel regualtor. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just read through this thread. Interesting, but must be frustrating for you. My experience with these old Bosch L tronic and M tronics is that the ECU’s are incredibly robust. And as the car does start and fires initially, it must be something different.

Some months ago after some work on my 86 Spider I started her up. Run pretty rough, but I could still drive. When I started to investigate I had forgotten to plug the connector back on the Air Mass meter. So apparently, these cars do start and you can even run them, although it will be quite rough.

Couple of other thoughts, easy checks before starting on the injectors and the rest of the fuel system check.

Check for cracks in the air-intake, intake manifold, all the various bits bolted on to the rubber inlet. False air will cause all sorts of problems starting
Check the start valve for leaks. Just clamp it off, see what happens

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I appreciate the advise, I am a break from it but planning on doing more trouble shooting with all the advise I've gotten. thanks everyone, will post my final results soon....

21 - 29 of 29 Posts