Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all who responded to my previous questions. It's not running yet. Sat for 18 months. Pulled the plugs and sprayed some good penitrating oil in the plug holes. Turned the engine by hand and turned very easy. The # 4 plug looked nasty. Gap was filled with what looked like cristals. Assuming Anti-freeze? Previous owner gave me an estimate from her local mechanic to get it running. Besides changing all the fluids and draining the fuel tank, he also said it needed a head gasket.
Does anyone have the step by step instructions for changing the head gaskets? ( Iam ordering a shop manual) Also what gaskets do I need besides the head and valve cover gasket? Thanks Ralph, New Jersey...GO GIANTS!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Here's a good post on the head gasket change by BBer "John M": New-b, considering alfa purchase, help. You may click on the upper right hand of the post to see the whole thread...

There are other threads, as well, so I would encourage you to do a search. (I know there are several post by "John M" too, so you could use the "Advanced Search" with key words "Head Gasket", by user "John M"...)

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
What is the rope trick? Ralph
OK, these heads can get stuck, and are v awkward to pull up , so, remove the 4 spark plugs, (and everything else needed to pull up the head, ), then stuff the end of a rope into the first hole as much as you can feed into it. Sound funny?? Then laugh!

So, now, you go to the second plug hole, and take up the loose piece of rope , and stuff into the second, then the 3rd, and then last hole. The idea is to pad with soft but firm rope the inside of the head, ALL 4 cylinders, for the following:

Put the car in 5th gear, and start rocking it back and forth, more and more, with progressively longer distances of the "rocking". the head should easily POP up!!!!!!

Man, I can still remember when I did it, the nostalgia is coming back......heart beating faster, amazing. The credit for this goes to , hmmmmm, cant remember , I think it was John M.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My error, only need 2 cylinders, as the other 2 go down stroke. Someone here will have to confirm, iwhich ones that go up ....1st and 4th? 2nd and 3rd?? Someone will chime in here soon.......It was a year ago, so I forgot.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Ralph, check this thread of a homemade head removal which works great.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/aone-alfa-romeo-owners-new-england/31209-head-removal-tool.html

Giorgio GO PATRIOTS!!
Im sure Giorgio has good intentions helping out on this thread, but I would be VERY careful with advice on these pullers others have talked about. I would (and others here have already also warned) stay away from anything that puts this kind of friction on your spark plug threads. They, (the whole head) are made of Aluminum alloy, translation: soft metal! And stripping them is v possible and then you wish you would have used the rope a dope method.

When are you planning on doing this anyway?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to attempt it when I receive my shop manual. Next week I hope. No hurry. It's cold and snowy outside. I have dock line from my boat that fits easily thru the plug hole. Will that work? Besides the head and valve cover gaskets, do I need ant others. Thanks Ralph New Jersey.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Im sure Giorgio has good intentions helping out on this thread, but I would be VERY careful with advice on these pullers others have talked about. I would (and others here have already also warned) stay away from anything that puts this kind of friction on your spark plug threads. They, (the whole head) are made of Aluminum alloy, translation: soft metal! And stripping them is v possible and then you wish you would have used the rope a dope method.

When are you planning on doing this anyway?
Believe me it works great. I did a head gasket a while ago, there is absolutely no harm whatsoever on your spark plug thread. I am saying this from my own experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts