Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My '87 Spider Quadrifoglio has a very Alfa-esque problem. When I press the headlight-on button on the center console, nothing happens, but if I pull the headlight stalk, the lights turn on. Now the strange part: if the console switch is off, pulling the stalk illuminates the headlights and shows the blue high-beam light on the instrument cluster; if the console switch is on, pulling the stalk illuminates the headlights as before, but shows both the blue high-beam light and the amber low-beam light on the cluster!

Any ideas? Driving a different car doesn't seem like a good way to enjoy my Spider at night!

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
I'm not sure what button you're pressing on the center console, but you turn on the headlights by rotating the stalk.

Push the stalk down for high beams on, pull it towards you for momentary high beam flash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went out and tried rotating the stalk, and it turns out this is just another case of RTFM! Feeling dumb for the night, but I'll just tell myself that that's because it's a new (to me) car...

And I agree about an owner's manual, I'll see what I can scour up. In the meantime, can anyone tell me what the left two sets of console buttons (aft of the ashtray) do? To me right now, from left to right, they're mystery and triangular mystery.

Anyway, thank you for the help!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
the 3 square switches above the ashtray:
a switch can either contain 2 buttons and two blanks, 4 buttons, or 4 blanks.
(the ones with 4 blanks cause the least problems;))

the left 'switch' is probably 2 buttons and 2 blanks: with a sort of 'lights' symbol...this is in fact rear fog lights, and they only work when you have the headlights on. The switch will illuminate as will a symbol on the dash instruments.

the middle 'switch' is the electric windows. 4 buttons with arrows up and arrows down.....these arrows wear off so might be blank! The electric window switch is the only switch with spring loaded buttons (that's easy then!:))
the graduate spider which had manual window winders, has a switch with 4 blanks in this position.

the right 'switch' will have 2 buttons and two blanks. the 2 buttons with a "triangle" symbol are the hazards.
It could have 4 buttons, which is the hazards and the rear demister (if hardtop fitted)

I have seen different arrangements, so who knows;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe it matters if LHD or RHD? Just came back from gym and mine are, from left to right,(LHD) rear fog lights, left window, right window, hazards. Rest is blank.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I used to have an 87 Graduate.

One of the console buttons is for the rear "fog lights". Also good for lighting up the license plate of tailgaters.

Mo in NJ
78 Spider

1 - 8 of 8 Posts