Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 87 spider and the stereo was replaced before I bought it I'm upgrading and I can see the original wiring colours but don't know what they correspond to. It also has electric antenna.
Any help decoding the original.... please

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's a few installation tips.
1. To check for speaker wires get a 1.5 V cell (AAA, AA, C or D). Make sure the key is off, then touch the battery to the two wires you think are for the speakers and let it go (the wires going to the speakers, not to the stereo). You'll hear a static like pop in the speaker - you can tell if it's front right, left, rear right or left. The "negative" could be either the one with the line or the one without. Just make a choice (example, I'll do all wires with the black line to negative) and follow it for all the speakers. Why? When a positive pulse is shot through the speaker, it pushed the cone out. If you hook up the speakers the same way, the speakers will move in the same direction (all out or all in) and the sound will be reinforced. If you don't, one speaker will try to cancel the other one.
2. Never ground the power antenna lead (the one that comes from the stereo). If you ground it, the current will go straight to negative and you'll blow out that part of the stereo - you've short circuited it!
3. Typically, the wires coming from the car should have a red and black. The red is the +12V and the black is ground. They're usually thicker than the speaker wires, but not always.
4. Newer stereos with screens have a parking brakes wire. This is to make sure you don't watch videos unless the parking brake is pulled. Some people have tried to bypass this by grounding the wire. The stereo companies got smarter and some require a pulse (open then ground) to turn the video feature on - simulate the parking brake going from off to on.
5. If the wires to the speakers are thin, you can get interference and low bass from the speakers. If you're hooking up a really nice stereo (typically not done on an Alfa, since the sound of the motor is music) you should definitely use better speaker wire. If you use an external amplifier, you'll need to run high power lines to the amp. And you may need a big capacitor to keep the amplifier from running short of power on those big thumps from the subwoofer!

Good luck with your stereo installation! Post some pictures when you're done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts