Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 87 spider quad for a few years now and it has been driving great. Just recently I have been replacing the fuel hoses from the fuel rail to injectors one at a time. The first time it was the line closest front of the car. I didn't think much of it and just replaced it. Drove the car a couple of miles and, next, the fuel hose closest to the firewall injector burst. I was now a little suspicious and replaced that fuel hose. Just today I let the car idle in my driveway for about 15-20 minutes and the fuel hose to the injector adjacent to the one closest to the firewall burst. I am going to the replace that fuel hose and the one other remaining old fuel hose, but I can't help but think that some other part (fuel pressure regulator?) has failed and that is why my fuel lines are bursting. Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Administrator
16,383 Posts
If the engine is running OK it is very unlikely the Fuel Pressure Regulator is faulty. More likely is the hoses are all old and in need of replacement. Use the correct FI rated hose. (I believe all hose manufactured now is ethanol resistant but some old hoses were not.) Note the correct ID for the fuel rail to injector hoses is 7.5mm. 1/4" is too small, 5/16" is too big.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
so you are taking that fuel rail off each time, just to replace one injector hose?
that is a crazy amount of extra work!

Replace all 4 and use the correct high pressure injector hose (maybe a previous owner already replaced them with incorrect 'normal' fuel hose?...and that's why they are now bursting one by one)

this is the result of a burst fuel hose and it's not pretty:(
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/8479844-post5.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good advice from Dom and Eric.
You mentioned the pressure regulator. I do not think that is your issue but if you pull off the vacuum line and smell or see gasoline, it is bad. You can also suck on it to prove it is not leaking but you might get a bad gas taste in your mouth if it is indeed bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just ordered some 7.5mm fuel line from Partsklassik out of NY. $7 per meter. It's rated at 147 psi. Smooth rubber, not braided. They specialize in Porsches so I wonder if they may be a source for other parts? If nothing else an affordable source for fi line. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Haba!! Thanks for the source of the 7.5mm fuel hose!! I've been looking for a while. The 8mm line is easy to get at a BMW dealer but the 7.5, not so much!!! What are you going to use for clamps?? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to replace the lines between the injectors and fuel rail. What I understand is they get pinched in between the rail and injectors w no clamps needed. If I find that I do need clamps I'll just get some at a parts store. I'm not concerned with staying original with this car. Just trying to get it running as well as i can cause I like to drive it like I stole it.

·
Administrator
16,383 Posts
If the OD of the replacement hose is the same as the original hoses, the cup shaped washers (#3) and the tight fit onto the hose barbs are all that you need. The cup shaped washers prevent the hose ends from ballooning open. However, there have been reports of hoses with a larger OD - in which case the cup washers may not be enough to hold the hose ends secure. In that case using proper FI hose clamps is advised.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the OD. I don't recall the OD being specified. I'll make sure it fis snugly into the washer or apply fi clamps as you mentioned. I've ordered sooo many small parts in the last 2 weeks I kinda forget what I ordered. I know I had the correct specs when ordering though.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Change all the rubber lines! They're 32 years old! Seen too many ALFA's burnt up. All of you Alfistis should change them or BOOM! They look good on the outside, but they are bad on the inside. Replacing them all on my 84 GTV-6 this winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Received the fuel line today. 7.5mm id and 13.5mm od. I believe this is the correct oem specs. $7 per meter from Partsklassiks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts