Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving up a long hill today and suddenly the engine was running rough. I saw the temperature getting hotter and I pulled over. It never got above about 210.

I don't see any coolant leaks and the fan belt is intact. Can anyone please suggest troubleshooting tips?

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
If the 210 reading is accurate then it should not have caused your motor to run rough. You may have two different problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an '84 spider that started heating up and was getting progressively hotter, clearing the 210 mark on one occasion. I had the radiator flushed and pressure tested. They said it was fine. Still ran hot. I bought new thermostat and bled the system. Still ran hot. Finally one day before a long trip up the river road, I saw it spring a leak. I bought a new radiator and hoses from Vicks and now she runs right smack in the middle, even on really hot days. I guess mine was just too clogged and getting worse. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After my car cooled down, I opened the radiator cap and verified the coolant was full. I was able to drive my car home, but I saw the temperature start to rise on every moderate hill. I turned on the heater and blower to keep the temperature around 175. The outside temperature today is only 75.

I flushed and replaced the coolant over the winter. Is it possible I have an air pocket or that I introduced some other problem with the cooling system? The water pump is about 1 year old.

·
Registered
931 Posts
is this the first time you drove it since changing coolant? its very likely an air pocket....check first to see if it is...always do the cheap checks first!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I've been driving it all winter. But today is probably the warmest day since I changed coolant.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
One easy thing to check is the exterior of the radiator fins. I have seen several Alfa's overheat because the radiator was obstructed with dried mud or an oil/dirt mixture.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Roger. I will check the plugs and compression on each cylinder.

The engine definitely felt like it was missing when it started running rough. I couldn't maintain speed even after downshifting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked compression and got readings of 140, 150, 135, 120. Plugs 1, 2, and 3 looked dry and brown. Plug 4 was gooey and black. I put some transmission fluid down cylinder 4 and still got a reading of 120.

I checked my oil and it is low a quart. I have driven about 1000 miles since the last oil change.

Do the symptoms sound like a blown head gasket? How can I tell if I have a valve problem too?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, wireset, distributor cap, and rotor to solve the running rough problem. The wireset was original, and the rest of the components were at least 7 years old. I went with the Magnecor KV85 wireset from IAP. It's been two weeks and no recurrance of the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts