Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, guys...I've got 2 Veloce Spiders, an `84 parts car (for sale, actually) and the `87, sanded and detrimmed for paint. I bought both for the wife to get her the DreamCar she's always wanted and found the no-start `87 a few months ago. It STILL has a no-start condition and here are the symptoms: fuel pressure appears sufficient (just replaced lift pump, strainer & in-line pump, but testing with compression gauge difficult), spark appears to be on-time, compression is low in three cylinders (60-80psi, #2 is 150psi), injectors are getting pulse, and L Jetronic AFM appears to be ok. Motor spins fairly quickly, valve openings appear to be on time. It has never 'caught', even using ether spray. There IS a red w/black wire with a broken connector that I can't place. It has 8dvc on key and looks like the connector is for a manifold ground, but I'm unsure and unwilling to simply ground it to 'check'. The wire is located near the firewall, passenger side near the washer bottle, probably terminating somewhere around the intake manifold. It goes into the loom that crosses over the rear edge of the hood opening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...and let me know if any of you are interested in the `84..

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,626 Posts
For sorting out electrical wiring issues, I suggest you contact BB member PapaJam. Ask him to send you a copy of his excellent color-coded wire diagrams. He'll email you some .pdf files that are far superior to the cryptic schematics in the Alfa Shop manuals. All he asks in return is that you consider making a donation to the AlfaBB. I think you'll agree his work is well worth a donation (plus you'll find this BB a tremendously helpful resource).

It appears to me (by studying my copy of PapaJam's wire diagram for our '84 Spider - essentially the same as your '87) that the red/black wire is for the oil pressure gauge. HTH

If the no-start Spider won't even give a kick on starting fluid then I'd have to wonder if it really has spark. The fuel injectors/fuel pumps rely on the 'drive relay' getting a valid signal from the coil that there is ignition happening for it (the drive relay) to send the instructions to send fuel.

See the link in my signature block for a page about diagnosing the various parts of the Bosch L-jetronic system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply, Eric....I searched my `84 for a comparable wire (...and the oil pressure sending unit has a similar wire, as on the `87) but it doesn't appear to be the correct one.

I checked the inputs to the drive relay earlier but I'll recheck the outputs.

I printed out the LJetronic guide several months ago...can't tell you how much I learned from THAT. I appreciate the work you guys do to help those of us that are still learning the ins and outs....these are the first euro cars I've owned and I bought them all at once (2 BMWs and 2 Spiders..!) so a crash course in LJetronics and Motronics is still underway.

Thanxx for the GoodWord.

Jim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
...compression is low in three cylinders (60-80psi, #2 is 150psi),...Motor spins fairly quickly,...
Sounds like there may be a valve problem (bent, sticking, WAY out of adjustment). I'd put checking valve clearances and valve timing very high on the priority list.

I concur with Eric that the red/black wire is for the oil pressure sender (located right above the starter).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanxx Papajam.....

I'll check into that today. I hate to see some little...something...turn an otherwise great car into a hanger queen. I had suspicions of the valves when compression was so low, but the car was partially thru some repair when the previous owner passed away...I bought it at an estate sale..and saw that the timing cover was sealed with orange sealant, indicating some timing chain issues.

...and the wire? I have a similar wire on the oil pressure sending unit already. I'll trace it back to its origin.

thanxx for the help...I'll send images when it's finally up.

jim

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Quickcheck to confirm if the floater wire is the oil gauge sender wire as opposed to what may be hooked on there now:

Have someone sit in the car with the key on and watch the gauges.

Take the free end of the floater wire straight to ground.

If the needle on the oil gauge pegs at max, that's the correct wire and the one currently on the sender is wrong.

Still, it seems there's something else amiss too besides compression and no fire.

You say the mystery wire tests at 8V with the key on.

That in itself is wrong actually, as unless you're battery is quite a bit flatter than you think (BTW, L-jet won't even wake up unless there's more than 10.3 volts going to the ECU while cranking) as any wires will either carry 12V, or they'll carry 0V (as in they are either hots, or nots)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reluctant to ground something unless I knew what it was, given the sensitivities of the ECM....and the oil pressuire gauge will show movement on cranking. The 8vdc showed that it may be a ground for a module (or something) and the voltage was the lower half of the dc divider circuitry. I think I'll concentrate on the valve timing, given your suggestions, and disregard the importance of a broken wire until after I hear this 2 liter cough.

...whatever it takes to give me more time for the 635csi. I just don't fit into that little convertible.

thanxx for the help, guys....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts