Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought the IAP hose kits for the short 2" rail hoses. I can see a single bolt that holds the rail in place on the block. If I remove this and pull the fat black intake hose, will this be enough to let me replace the hoses? Also, will the hoses just slide off? I will cut to length the 7.5mm hose and place the ends on the "outlets" and then slide the hose sections into them. Do I also need hose clamps? I dont have any kind of crimping tool for the bosch hose ends from the kit. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
I replaced the fuel rail hoses on our '84 spider. With the correct ID hose (7.5mm IIRC) the hose is a tight fit onto the injectors and the fuel rail. The cup shaped 'washers' ("bushing" #3 in sketch below) seem to help keep the hose snug by preventing the ends of the hose from ballooning out.

Removing the one bolt under the fuel rail does allow you to manuever the assembly out. If you'd prefer to leave the injectors in place, then carefully remove the hoses from each (see next paragraph).

The Alfa shop manual says to use a 'welder' to remove the old hose. From the sketch it looks they mean a soldering iron - i.e., melt through the hose instead of slicing it with a knife. The idea is to avoid nicking the hose barbs leaving a pathway for leaks.

I did not use the IAP kits - I bought a couple of feet of 7.5mm hose and cut it to the required length. I also re-used the cup washers (the shop manual says to cut them off....). I did re-use one clamp where the hose is attached to the CSI (Cold Start Injector).

If you make the new hose pieces the same length as the original ones, when you bolt in the fuel rail, it tends to keep the hoses between the fuel rail and injectors secure because there isn't enough room for the hoses to back out. In other words, the hoses are not under tension but rather slightly compressed between the rail & injectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I removed my rail with injectors intact, It made it easier for me to assemble everything on the workbench rather than down in the car. Besides if you are this far into it why not replace the injector seals and the whole set at Advance is 3.50 give or take a dime and it has 4 large and 4 small and only takes a couple of minutes with injectors out (Cheap Insurance):). If you need i'll dig out the receipt and get you a part number. Take care to catch the washers if you remove the injectors, I found it handy to use a magnet right before the bolt is out.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The NAPA number is #2-12084
for Niehoff #274031
for Standard #HK9328 or SK4

Hope this helps

·
Registered
203 Posts
At Advance the ones I used are Beck/Arney and worked great, the price listed online is 3.97 for all 4 injectors PART # 1580021 and yes they are listed for an Alfa, at least my 85 and most of the other suppliers start at 2.50 per injector.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I think I will replace the seals too. Do you need to put the hose clamps on too if you use the bosch hose end cups? Is it perhaps best to use both? Also, the kit from IAP has "13" size clamps. IAP also sells "14" size clamps. Are the "13" clamps appropriate for the 7.5m hoses?
Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I did the same as the folks above mentioned but used a 7x3mm hose. It made for a nice tight fit with no injector leaks even without clamps. If you can find either hose (7 or 7.5 mm) it will work well. The 7mm hose seems to be available through shops that cater to older VW cars (bugs and vans). The only shop I could find here that carried it seems to have evaporated. Apparently I didn't buy enough to keep them in business.

Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pointer to Advance. They didnt have them locally, so I used the web site. The shipping was more than the item.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I disconnect the ijectors from the rail, do they just screw out of the intake manifold? I want to replace the seals.

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
Each injector is held into the intake by a pair of socket head (aka allen head) bolts. Item #4 in the sketch above. Item #5 is a rubber ring that goes between #4 & #6. #6 is a circlip that fits against a ridge on the injector body. Thus, #4 squeezes onto #5 holding the injector into the intake.

#7 is the sealing ring that seals the injector into the intake. I assume the kits include that part. And probably #5, too. There is also a hard plastic or metal ring between the injector & the seal. Don't lose that - I doubt it is in the seal kit. Also, sometimes the seal is stuck in the intake - instead of coming off with the injector. Double check so that you don't end up with two seals...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was replacing my injector hoses and found this thread. I was stunned to learn that Advance might actually have some parts I needed. Even more suprised when it only cost $1.70 for the seal kit at my local Advance. I think it marks the first time they had an Alfa part I wanted in stock and probably the cheapest price I've ever paid for any Alfa part. Maybe I should go get a lotto ticket.:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have my injectors at Cruzin now. Not thinking, I simply cut the injectors from the fuel rail before measuring the length of the connecting hose. Rich will put new hoses on the injectors if I tell him the required length. What length should I tell him to use?

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Only post #1 in this thread actually mentions a length: 2". But I can't just now verify that length. If you have no other contributors, I'll try to get the info this evening from son's '86 Bosch Spider. Opinions from others would be interesting, too. If the hoses are a (little) bit too long, they'll squash from the rail holding them in place. Too short wouldn't be so great.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I did my own and the length was 2 1/8".

JUst remind Rich at Cruzin, that the top end of the injectors need to be assembled before putting on the fuel hose/cup. If not the mounting flange will not go over the installed hose. You will need about 5 3/4" of hose from the rail to the Cold Start Injector as well.

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm at this point now on my 82 Bosch series 2. I don't have a traditional soldering iron at the moment, I use a different method to solder. Is it that imperative, can I just cut the hose carefully?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts