Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this forum. I bought this beauty for my fiancé as an engagement present, and while we have the shop manual, there’s no key for the colors of the wires so we are at a loss to get this baby running. We can get her started but she poops out after about 10-15seconds. We are replacing the fuel pumps, cleaning all the grounds and waiting on the part to replace the main relay for now, but we are trying to rule out a bad ECU. I was so upset to hear of papajam’s passing. I’m hoping that someone here still has a copy of the color wiring diagrams for this car.
Need the Fuel system wiring, but will take any and all applicable.
My email is j(dot)morello85(attt)gmail(dot)com
Thank you so so much in advance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There was a thread long ago where Jim (Papajam) and others were collectively working on 1987 wiring diagram. There’s even mention of the ECU wiring etc. maybe someone on there got a finished version at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jmorello85

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a thread long ago where Jim (Papajam) and others were collectively working on 1987 wiring diagram. There’s even mention of the ECU wiring etc. maybe someone on there got a finished version at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I’ll ask on there as well. He had it listed as an available diagram in his one post, it’s just if I can get my hands on it now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your 'Conversations' (aka Private Message). Click on the mini-avatar in the top right corner.

Also, click on the link in my signature to a page of DIY info about L-jetronic diagnosis in our cars.
I’ll definitely check diag info out, I don’t have any pms though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I see you’re just within my reach, if you’re stumped, let me know and I’ll come down from NY to take a look.
As I mentioned in other threads, don’t throw parts at it. Start with the basics.

I tell everyone that has a no start condition with the exception of a run of 5-12 seconds to look at the positive battery connections first on an L or motronic system.

Then the grounds, relays,
Fuses, clean everything As you go along.

Take notes and pics of what you cleaned and repaired along the way.

regards Richy

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
if it starts then poops out after 10 seconds it might just be running on the cold start injector fuel
that it runs at all, means you have spark at least, so must be a fuel issue.

try jumping the fuel relay (that is the bigger of the 2 relays under the rear package shelf, near the ecu, called the DRIVE relay)...remove relay and jump between pin #30 and #87 of the socket.
your pumps (both the under car main pump and the in tank pump) should now run continuously...if you can hear them, then try starting.
If they work when jumping the relay then replace the relay........the DRIVE relay
(any reason why you say you are waiting for an order on the MAIN relay, the smaller one?)

If you cannot hear them, then pumps are bad or there is a break in the wiring (or that troublesome bullet fuse holder back there - that thing I would just throw away and replace with a modern blade fuse holder and 10A fuse!........there are simply dozens of threads where that has failed)

drive relay wiring.JPG

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Send me your email address via pm and I’ll forward you a copy that I have from papajam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if it starts then poops out after 10 seconds it might just be running on the cold start injector fuel
that it runs at all, means you have spark at least, so must be a fuel issue.

try jumping the fuel relay (that is the bigger of the 2 relays under the rear package shelf, near the ecu, called the DRIVE relay)...remove relay and jump between pin #30 and #87 of the socket.
your pumps (both the under car main pump and the in tank pump) should now run continuously...if you can hear them, then try starting.
If they work when jumping the relay then replace the relay........the DRIVE relay
(any reason why you say you are waiting for an order on the MAIN relay, the smaller one?)

If you cannot hear them, then pumps are bad or there is a break in the wiring (or that troublesome bullet fuse holder back there - that thing I would just throw away and replace with a modern blade fuse holder and 10A fuse!........there are simply dozens of threads where that has failed)

View attachment 1641901
Thank you for the info, we had done that and we are getting a new drive relay, just not yet ($ is adding up fast, and he has 2 other project cars and 5 two-stroke motorcycles, so we balance) We ordered a new main relay because 1, it $11, and 2, when he was cleaning all the grounds and relays that one was awful.
We were able to get the engine to run on the injectors, but we definitely had a fuel pressure issue, so we are replacing the fuel pressure regulator. We also got a new boot because he thinks he patched the air leak but it’s in rough shape so we are just replacing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts