Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried everything...vacuum leaks-new hoses, good compression, rebuilt injectors, proper fuel pressure...still hard starting and even harder re-startng, lack of power, rough idle.
Big question...could it be a weak coil?
I experienced this with my MGTD years ago.

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
doubt it's coil.
fuel filter?

I'd test the temperature sensor (or sensors...your 87 might even have two of these, one for fuel one for injection), they are important aspects when it comes to idle, start etc.
Or, the CSI maybe not completely shutting off? when car is hot remove connector plug and see if there is a difference.

I would also consider replacing old leads (these can break down), rotor or dizzy cap (the last two only as a matched pair, and Bosch)

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
Click on the link in my signature (I think you have to first click 'show full signature') for a page of DIY diagnostic into about our cars.

One other thought - is the VVT device working properly? If stuck on advance that would make the car run terribly at slow speeds & idle and I assume make for hard starting.

·
Premium Member
3,934 Posts
Tried everything...vacuum leaks-new hoses, good compression, rebuilt injectors, proper fuel pressure...still hard starting and even harder re-startng, lack of power, rough idle.
Big question...could it be a weak coil?
I experienced this with my MGTD years ago.
Check the plenum hose between the air filer box and the hard tube on top of the engine. It cracks and tears around the clamp at the hard tube and also in the folds at the air box end. You need to take it off and pull the folds apart and inspect it all the way around .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts