Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to those that responded yesterday to my post: 87' Quad power loss- help.

My NY Alfa Shop said they test drove the car yesterday, broke down, tested and determined I needed a new air flow meter.....one of the most expensive parts in the L-Jetronic.

Nobody who responded to my posts about this re-occuring problem mentioned this part as a possible culprit for the complete cut-off of fuel to the engine while driving (on the highway no-less)

This is a reputable Alfa shop and I have had good relations with them over the years...but I dont know what to think anymore - - many headaches, AAA tows and thousands of dollars later (not to mention heated arguments with my wife!). And the fact that I have taken wonderful and thoughtful care of this beautiful car in order to keep it on the road and ultimately pass it on later in life really troubles me as an owner - - if in fact - - I have not been dealt with honestly with this fairly well-known Alfa-specific shop.

Could the Air Flow Meter be the ultimate cause of this problem?

Any final thoughts on my situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,028 Posts
Possible, I suppose. If the AFM goes bad some weird crap can happen. Get some details - how exactly did they test it, and what problems did they find?

The units themselves are reasonably robust and can sometimes be repaired. If you pull the cover, there's a an electrical swing arm that slides along a conductive carbon trace. The trace has resistors of varying value wired into it along the arc of the carbon trace. What can sometimes happen at high mileage is that the arm can wear through the carbon and make intermittent connection. In that case, there's a way to shift the arm one way or the other so it moves onto a fresh section of the trace.

There's other things that can go wrong as well, but it's actually a reasonably simple design electrically and mechanically so it shouldn't be insanely difficult to troubleshoot if there's a real problem. Anyway, before buying a new one I'd ask some detailed questions and see if the unit is repairable.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Used AFM's are often available for a good price.

Checkout Alfa Parts Exchange in CA

Also check out the eBay store De Noya Trading post (RezDoc) in OK

Di Fatta Bros in NJ may also be able to help.

Happy Motoring! Hope this does it for you, Elio

·
Administrator
17,470 Posts
Hold tight until tomorrow. I have a link at home (posting from work) about extending the life of a Bosch AFM. It is from a Porsche web page but the unit looks exactly like the AFM in our Spiders. It is as Tom ("Gubi") describes - wear occurs in the printed circuit board from the wiper arm of the flap inside the AFM. The page I saved describes how to re-adjust the wiper arm so it'll make contact in a slightly differnent area on the circuit board. It'd be worth a try - worst case is you break your already 'broken' AFM.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Just recently I had trouble with missing, cutting out and overall poor performance. After alot of searching and money spent I discovered that the flap inside the afm was hanging up when opening and closing. I took sand paper and smoothed edges where rough, when it operated properly I reinstalled and all was well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for advice.

My "gut" tells me they already put in a new one without my final consent as they wanted to be proactive because I was pretty pissed off the other day when I was towed back 2 hours after they fixed the brakes as the diagnosis.... So I wont know for sure what they installed until the owner calls me (I spoke on the phone with the mechanic who has a fairly heavy Italian accent)

They always put new parts in....I have yet to see them try to "fix" or "refurbish" an already existing but malfunctioning part on the spot (since they stock a lot of parts of their own)

And since they are rather well-known, I am not even sure how they will deal with me (a non-mechanic) telling them what they should do............

I am Dazed and Confused

·
Administrator
17,470 Posts
This WAS the page that had the info about repairing an AFM: Motronic DME but the info is all missing... And the 'Way Back Machine' doesn't find it either.

I have the page saved - but I'm not sure how to attach a web page. I guess I'd have to edit it into a Word doc to be able to post the info originally published. Sorry - that'll have to wait - work always gets in the way of the things I need to do.

Anyway, does the car run right now with the new AFM?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes...the car runs "with much more horsepower than before" they said....they want to keep it in the shop a few more days so that the owner can test drive it over this time....but i dont yet know if a "new" meter was installed or they simply were able to adjust the old one.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,028 Posts
I have the page saved - but I'm not sure how to attach a web page. I guess I'd have to edit it into a Word doc to be able to post the info originally published. Sorry - that'll have to wait - work always gets in the way of the things I need to do.
Get PDF995. It's free and does a good job of printing any document to a PDF file. Or PM me for my email address and I can do it if you mail it to me.

http://www.pdf995.com/

That would be a good document to make available here. I remember how to do the mod but I don't have pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting this.

My shop test drove the car for a week, and replaced my AFM with (what they say) was a used AFM from an '84 Spider for $250. They said they tried to source a reconditioned one from Cali but had no luck. They drove the car for a number of days and said it was fine.

It has seemed to give me a pretty big increase in horsepower from previous AFM.

The owner of shop said he had never seen such a clean Quad have so much trouble and pain......

I drove the car yesterday with wife and DIDNT break down...but I still have my fingers crossed on this one........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts