Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Been a while since ive been on the forum, however after a year long slumber, I decided to pull my 1987 Quadrifoglio out for the year.

In my younger days I used to do most of the work on these cars myself, but lately I have been letting mechanics do most of the routine service.

In any event, since last I used the car, Ive moved to a relatively isolated area where no one knows what this car is let alone will work on it... so I decided to pull out the wrenches.

Started off tonight with trying to change the oil... drained the oil with no more than the usual Alfa Romeo cussing.... but when I went to take the oil filter off... dang thing wont budge.

Ive tried from below with my strap wrench... no go, I tried an old mechanic's trick with sand paper hoping to get a good grip ... nothing. Took the AFM off to try from above... the stupid filter started to crush rather than turn.

Im at the point where Im contemplating removing the alternator to get a better angle on the thing .... if nothing else than to try to get room to put a screw driver through the filter and try to lever it off that way.

Do any of you guys have a better suggestion? Ive NEVER had problems getting a filter off this car before when Ive done the job...Not sure what the shop who put the last oil in did or used... but this is insane.

Any advice is appreciated.
M.L.

·
Administrator
16,986 Posts
Obviously it was installed too tight... Try to get your strap wrench as close to the top - where the crimp is located - as that is the strongest area. And for completeness sake - lefty loosey. Apply some loosening torque and just hold pressure for a few minutes.

When you do get it off - it'll come off eventually - follow the directions for installing the new one - smear engine oil on the rubber gasket then tighten it 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn beyond when the gasket first contacts the block. Usually hand tight is enough.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
Man, I've got about a bazillion oil filter tools after dealing with stuck ones. I like the metal cap-style ones that fit onto the end of the filter and accept a socket wrench, but if your can is deformed it's probably too late for that. I've also had good luck with this kind:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,984 Posts
I've also had good luck with this kind:
That is my favorite too. If all else fails you could drive a long screwdriver through the can, close to the gasket end to turn it. It should be much easier once it has turned a little.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would go for the pliers, (6.99 at harbor freight right now), above gripping as near the crimp as possible. Even on the crimp if you can.

I have seen a coworker completely tear the end of a stuck filter off with the screwdriver trick.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

Ill stop by the parts store tonight and grab one of those claw wrenches and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
M.L.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That is my favorite too. If all else fails you could drive a long screwdriver through the can, close to the gasket end to turn it. It should be much easier once it has turned a little.
Yeah, it's messy, but big screwdriver through it can give you plenty of leverage if all else fails.

Taking the alternator off really isn't that big of a deal. My spider requires it for every oil change due to clearance issues caused by the modifications.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
You will not be the only one to get into a fight with a stuck oil filter.

It took a few holes with the screwdriver to get it off.

154_5423.jpg

154_5424.jpg

154_5425.jpg

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Take a hammer and chisel, and make a deep dent in the rolled flange of the filter can, right next to the engine block surface. Then take a long screwdriver, place the tip down into the dent, and knock the pee out of it. It WILL break loose!

The can will just continue to rip. You got to get at the rim to break it loose.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've had the best luck with the real big screw driver technique, drive it through both sides and they seem to come off pretty quick.

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gentleman....

Thank you for the replies. I bought the "claw" tool pictured above... and after much pulling, tugging, cussing, and perhaps crushing the oil filter in the grips, the blasted thing came off.

Got the job finished tonight. Used a Mobil-1 filter and put it on hand tight... 7 quarts of fresh synthetic race blend.... and with some tuning ... car is purring (at least until the next thing rears its head)

Thank you again for the suggestions!
Cheers M.L.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow, do I know what you went through. I obviously over tightened my filter to the point where nothing but a massive pair of channel locks finally broke the filter loose. The screwdriver method just tore the metal.
I thought I hand tightened it like my other vehicles that I service, but was I wrong, got lucky that I didn't damage anything.
Les

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts