Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back and forth on this one, but with a sunny day, figured I'd snap off some pictures and see if anyone is interested as it sits.

I purchased this car a few months ago, friend of a friend had it in storage with another couple cars for the past few years, and wasn't likely getting around to putting it back on the road any time soon. Sadly, the storage container the cars were in did them no favors, hence the corrosion present on the wheels and aluminum bits under the car. He had told me it fired up and idled on ether, so I figured some basic maintenance performed, and I'd be driving the car sooner than later. Sadly, that's just not been the case, and I don't have the time to deep dive on this car like I'd prefer, before turning it into a daily.

1987 Alfa Milano Verde, 148k miles. Factory cruise control-equipped car. Came from California and Washington state originally, went to Connecticut, but was not used for a winter driver. The car is nearly rust free, but does have a spot near the antenna that someone has boogered over with silicone. A few dings/dents/scratches, and the paint on the horizontal surfaces is sun-baked, but the sides still present rather nicely. BWA wheels look awful, but seem to be straight.

Mechanically, the car does start and run, but not properly. It has good compression (160-165), strong spark, fuel, and is in-time mechanically. My suspicion is the injectors are sticking, and dumping too much fuel, as the plugs get washed rather quickly. It will be due for a timing belt replacement due to time since the last belt, and has a leaking valve cover gasket on the passenger bank. Hoses still seem supple, there are no coolant leaks, and no oil leaks I've found other than the valve cover. The clutch hydraulics are suspect, or possibly the clutch is stuck, as the pedal returns slowly when depressed. The PO had replaced some parts within the ABS system, and ABS was still working when the car was parked. No ABS error message shows when the car is running, and the pedal feels good/firm.

Everything electronic in the car works, except the driver side window regulator. I can hear the motor click, but no movement yet from the regulator. I think it can be saved with some cleaning, but I have a known good motor/regulator to go with the car regardless. Sunroof, the other windows, all the lights (interior and exterior), etc all function.

The seats have been recovered in a red variant of the original Recaro material. They're overall in fairly good condition, but the top side of the back seat has started to split in a few places. I have an excellent condition rear bench set in the original fabric, and a pair of the front seats in gray as well, though the bottom fabric on the front seats are a bit torn. I can swap in the gray interior in place of the red for anyone interested. Headliner is getting loose in a few spots, but doesn't seem to sag notably yet. Door panels are in good shape overall, with minimal crushing present on the arm rests.

The car does have a number of goodies on it. The modifications and nearly rust-free body are what drew me to the car originally. Currently equipped with the following:

-Full CSC exhaust from the headers to the tail pipe
-Rear lowering springs (brand unknown)
-27mm torsion bars
-Koni yellow shocks all around
-Stainless braided brake lines
-Polyurethane castor arm bushings
-Silicone vacuum hose kit
-Momo steering wheel/hub, Momo shift knob

I drained the fuel tank, replaced the filter and pump, changed the oil and the spark plugs recently. I have some other maintenance items to go on or with the car, and a host of spare parts from the other Milanos I parted out.

I don't have to sell this car, but currently, I'm not entirely opposed to it either. I have several other vehicles that are in need of attention, and a Volvo that's closer to a full blown resto at this point, so my time tinkering on the Milano is limited.

As for price, I'm really not sure what's fair. I'm into the car for a little more than $6k, and while I don't expect to get every penny back out, I'm not interested in taking a huge loss on it either.

Located in Raleigh, NC. Have the CT Bill of Sale (no paper titles for older vehicles in Connecticut.)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
PM Sent

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nice looking Verde. $6k seems about right to me for a non-runner in this shape. This could be put right and present nicely for not a lot of $$$ - assuming that you are handy. The red seat inserts and wheel make good aesthetic sense to me. So often an insert change makes these look gaudy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts