Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the same Veloce we all tried to divine the mystery of the hydrolock.

When I bought it the fan was hitting the shroud. The first thing done, before other problems sprung up was to replace the engine mounts. Once I got it I had to replace the radiator which was unsalvageable.

At the time of putting the new radiator I replaced missing AC belt. Shortly thereafter the belt was broken as it did not have enough clearance against the front stabiliser bar. Now I am getting increasingly more noise under acceleration in lower gears, which is clearly the fan hitting the shroud again.

What do I do?
-put in spacers at engine mounts to raise the engine?
-play with shroud and radiator?
-get rid of the shroud altogether?

Any ideas and recommendations?

Thanks,

Simon

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,940 Posts
Did you replace the transmission mount too? If that's bad it may cause the engine to tilt enough under acceleration that it's hitting the shroud.

Don't remove the shroud: it improves cooling.

·
Administrator
17,387 Posts
Well, something ain't right.

IIRC, the radiator fits into a U-shaped rubber cushion at the bottom. Is it fully seated into that?

I agree with Tom - check the transmission mount. Was it installed correctly? When installed the sleeve for the bolt is towards the bottom. When the weight is applied it becomes centered.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents.

Yes, all three mounts were replaced.
As we were finishing it for me to take it, Julio and I worked on it, put the belt, and the radiator seat is exactly the way you describe it.

Julio has a better ear and he heard the fan against the lower edge of the shroud.
(That brings up the point of the transmission mount. It it sagged it would cause the front of the engine to tilt upwards, would it not? The fan hits the shroud at the bottom, as if the engine is drooping forward and down.)

I suspect that the spacers are needed. He did the same work on my '87 Quad and it looks much better. Julio also noticed an alarmingly tight clearance between the sway bar and the AC belt. That was prescient, as the belt snapped soon after I drove it and tried to run the AC.

My thought is that the mounts are too low and have to be augment by spacers.

What do you say, gents?

Thanks as always,

Simon

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Don't rule out the engine mounts. I ran into this on two occasions recently where the mounts had sagged after only 6-12 months in service. If you have a pan guard, what is the clearance between the pan and the guard?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't rule out the engine mounts. I ran into this on two occasions recently where the mounts had sagged after only 6-12 months in service. If you have a pan guard, what is the clearance between the pan and the guard?
I'd say (remembering the last time I looked at it a couple of weeks ago) somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch.

On my quad the engine sagged so badly that the guard rubbed against the oil pan and left a significant trace of the worn out aluminium. New mounts and spacers took care of that.

The Veloce new mounts barely have 3,000 miles on them. Is it plausible that they are so badly made that they are already sagging?

Thanks,

Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts