Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Any info or recomendations on replacing the steering tie rods and the connection sleeve? I just got some new tires and was going to get an alignment, but these parts are worn out and need replacing. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Premium Member
23,728 Posts
Measure the tie rod length before you take the old end off so you'll at least be in the ballpark with the new one, though you ought to get an alignment afterward. Especially if the old end is sloppy, it's hard to know exactly how long to make the new one.
If you don't mind destroying the boot on the ends (if you're throwing the old ones awayP, you can use a cheap "pickle fork" removal tool. Basically a wedge you drive in with a hammer after undoing the nut. Crude but effective.
Andrew

·
Registered
355 Posts
Perhaps you would consider allowing a qualified alignment shop to remove/replace the tie rod..? I too have just recieved a tie rod in the mail for replacement. The local shop (which has serviced a local Giulietta that sees occasional "fun races") charges $70 for the laser alignment. Though it pulls to the right, I believe I'm going to drive it to Jackie's Alignement for this one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would allow someone else to do it if they didnt want to charge me a fortune. I would like to do as much as possible myself for knowledge, understanding, experience, and personal satisfaction. I will find an alignment shop that will align it by Alfa specs. Ive done everything myself so far, so I think I'll continue down that road until I get to something I cant do.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Can anyone explain why tie rod 1 is adjusted to a shorter length than tie rod 2? I have just replaced all my tie rod ends and as close as possible set up as it was (not driven it yet). My car was originally LHD but has been converted to RHD and am curious to know if the asymetrical setting is as a consequence of the steering box or idler which are now flipped. So should I set up with the right measurement on the left and vice versa? The conversion is quite a good one but for example the ride heights were not adjusted for the driver now sitting on the "wrong" side and a couple of other short-cuts have been corrected so am not 100% sure they've covered everything. I do recall a slight drift to one side when I drove it previously .. 9 months ago and I didn't make a written note as to which way..

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Its relative to the angle and distance of the arm at the steering box compared to the closeness of a given front wheel.
(its a fulcrums thing)

Down in the suspension subsection papajam gave some info a while back regarding aligment in LH vs RH drive chassis' as there is a changeover of things due to the driver being on the opposite side.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Found a ref from Papajam in suspension - in case anyone uses this thread as a starting point to answer the question - shorter arm must be on idler side. So if idler is on the left and the driver on the right length 2 would be shorter than length 1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,
A great deal of information came out in this forum, but more of what Im looking for is how to physically remove the parts and replace them, ie:
1. jack up front of car and support at XXX since you will be working on the suspension portions, you will want to support the weight of the car on at XXX.
2. loosen and remove YYY.
3. loosen and remove ZZZ.
4. loosen and remove AAA, the tie rod bar, but before you remove it make sure to do the following so that when you put it back together, you can drive it to the alignment shop.

This is a job ive never done and dont want to muck things up. Any and all info is appreciated...

·
Administrator
18,127 Posts
To be honest and not meaning any insult, if one needs such specific instructions I am leery of offering them over the internets. IMO, it is reasonable to offer any "watch out for the gotcha's" & any tid bits of advice that might not be obvious but to give out step-by-step instructions like that might be dangerous.

So, generally speaking, securely raise the car because you'll be working underneath it. Before you put your body under it, shake & push/pull it to be sure it isn't going to fall. Take notes, measurements (photos?) before you disconnect anything. The tie rods have matching pairs of left hand & right hand threads allowing adjustments of length. When removing the tie rods I like to leave the nuts loosely cover the threads. Even if you are planning to replace them it is good practice to avoid damaging &/or mushrooming the threads. Plus it keeps parts from flying off and knocking you on the head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts