Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 months ago, it was fine. But we had some COLD weather (for Los Angeles) and a ton of rain within the last month and now it seems as if my baby has trouble starting.

I'll get in and the door light turns on. Turn the key and here the buzz from turning it. Headlights can turn on. But when I turn it over, it tries and tries but doesn't actually kick in. If I keep doing it eventually the battery drains of course. But if I pull my Jeep up to it and jump it, it starts up within half a minute. Battery is only a year old. Could it be as simple as I just got a bad battery????

Once it starts, it generates plenty of juice to the battery, so I don't think it's the alternator. If it were the starter, it wouldn't work even with the jump, would it? It will start again after I stop it for an hour, or two, or even four. It happens in the morning when it's been sitting for 10 hours or so. Or whenever it's been sitting for a longer period of time. Also, my headlight on passenger side dim won't work and the tail lights on passenger side are out, but I don't think this has anything to do with it starting does it? Some specific Alfa thing anyone know of?

Thanks!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Regarding the headlights, check the fuses.
Each headlight has an individual fuse for high beam and low beam, so basically there are 4 fuses that run them.
'Course it could just be that particular filament is blown too. It does happen.
Tail light could be the fuse or the bulb.

As to the starting issue, the ability to crank is meaningless.
The ability to crank AND have above 10.3~10.5 volts going to the ECU is the goal.
Without it, the ECU will never 'wake up', and thus you just crank the battery into oblivion and work the starter motor to death.

BTW, 'sounds like it's cranking fine' doesn't count. You need to have a multimeter, not a dash gauge, on the battery terminals during cranking to determine if enough voltage is indeed moving. Any other way is just guesswork that'll get you nowhere.

The ability to jump start implies that your battery is weak/old or in need of a charge, and/or that possibly the charging system isn't working up to snuff (depending on how long you actually run the engine after starting, and again, don't trust the dash gauge, put a multimeter on the battery to see if it's getting good juice going to it)

For a great pile of other relevant information in regard to the L-jetronic system in your car, please to click the diagnostics link in my signature block.

And we'll be requiring pictures of some sort in exchange for the help. :)

·
Administrator
17,382 Posts
A weak battery is the most likely answer. But (being the cheapskate that I admit I am), before condemning it I would make sure every electrical connection between the battery & starter & alternator is 100%. Don't assume they are OK because they look good and feel tight - one by one remove, clean and secure. I like to add a smear of di-electric grease to all the connections after cleaning & before reassembly.

One bad connection - or - more likely - a number of iffy conections can rob the system of the ability to move enough electrons fast enough to get it going. The hardest thing the battery & starter has to do is start a cold engine. The battery is at its weakest, the engine oil is at its thickest, etc.

Now post those photos and avoid getting further BB demerits.

·
Registered
627 Posts
...2 months ago, it was fine. But we had some COLD weather (for Los Angeles) and a ton of rain within the last month and now it seems as if my baby has trouble starting.

...Battery is only a year old. Could it be as simple as I just got a bad battery????
Yes, could be as simple as a battery gone bad. Just replaced mine this Friday. Same conditions as you with the cold shock in LA. Battery, 11 month old Optima Red Top. Wouldn't hold its charge. Replaced and all better now.

Those of you with Optima batteries, remember to take advantage of your replacement warranties!! If you're coming up on 3 years, bring it in and replace it. Mine was under a year old, straight out swap for a brand new one. New 3 year replacement warranty from date of exchange. If this new one goes bad, store manager said it will be exchanged again and give me another new 3 year warranty (no pro rated warranties on Optima's battery).

They're expensive, don't really notice any difference in how it performs compared to a regular battery, but that warranty can save you a couple hundred bucks. Woohoo!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts