Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spark plugs look and performing good! I checked the injection cylinder connector and when trying to start I see voltage on all injectors. I have fuel, injection and spark! What the heck is wrong????

No voltage to cold start injector when trying to start! How do I make sure I'm doing this correctly?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Spark plugs look and performing good! I checked the injection cylinder connector and when trying to start I see voltage on all injectors. I have fuel, injection and spark! What the heck is wrong????

No voltage to cold start injector when trying to start! How do I make sure I'm doing this correctly?
do you have any fuel pressure ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
First, make sure that your battery is FULLY charged...in my experience, the battery can crank the engine fine, but the car just won't fire off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Will check both suggestions when I get home. How do I check the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you haven't done so, suggest downloading the Spider L-Jetronic diagnostic guide available from the FAQs thread and here. What is the voltage while you are attempting to start the car? It needs to be at least 10.3 volts for the ECUs to function, according to the guide.

To check fuel pressure, attach a gauge to the fuel line leading to the cold start injector.

Just re-read your other thread. Since the car ran before you worked on the fuse box and now it doesn't, you have to assume the change that has occurred is the result of the fuse box work. Specifically, how are you confirming good spark and fuel?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the facts:
Horn wasn't working, took the steering wheel off and trouble shoot the problem. While I had the steering off took off the cluster and replaced lights and cleaned the lens, put back everything horned worked perfect!
Took it for a ride and everything good. After one mile or so I felt ther was no power. Car was on but it wasn't reving up as I pressed gas pedal, went into a parking lot, car still on but no power, pressed the gas and slowly car died!
Took one of spark plug wires and I felt and saw spark,( so I have spark), wrongly I took the return fuel line and I saw no fuel, so first impression was fuel problem, tried listening to the pump and couldnot hear it click. So had it towed to the house!
Took the pump out and while trying to clean it and testing it connected it directly to the battery and saw it working! Ok maybe pump was stuck. Put it back and now I feel the pump come alive and vibrate while trying to start! But no start!!
Took one advice and replaced the spark plugs but still no go. I see voltage on all injectors except the cold start which is normal I think since its 60 here in Texas! I have around 10.7 voltage on the battery when trying to start and I have checked all of the fuses to the best of my ability. I have to get a gauge to check the fuel pressure next I think!

Any other advice is greatly appreciate it! Thanks team!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yes. I would definitely check fuel pressure next. If you have some starting fluid, you could try spraying some into one of the vacuum connections on the plenum (like the one from the AAV) and see if the engine will at least fire on a cylinder or two.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you show 10.7 volts, that could still be the problem. Put a charger on it and bring it up to about 13 volts; where a fully charged battery should be. There's no sense spinning wheels and spending money until you do that. Even if you fix the problem, the low battery might still keep it from starting. In my experience, the Bosch system is extremely voltage sensitive.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Make sure all your gas pedal linkage is working. I had a plastic knuckle break and the car only idled.Since I was only 2 miles from the house I set the idle at 2500 and drove it home,

When I'm trying to figure if it's a fuel or electric problem I spray starter fluid in the intake. If it tries to start it's a fuel problem. If it doesn't want to start it's an electrical problem.

Best of luck.

If you want PM and I'll give you my phone number and I'll walk you through it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all. I'm taking battery to get it charged and will buy some starter fluid! Thanks again guys, stay with me! :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!
Took the battery and they said only had 60% charged and it was bad. So got a new one with new terminals. Now getting 11.7 v when starting and yet No Start! Back to Autozone to get starter fluid!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Starter fluid

Sprayed starter fluid into intake and no start. So I guess it is electric problem!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check the flywheel sensors. They kill the car electrically. Use the suggested online L-Jet manual to check for resistance measurements. If the are okay you should keep a spare anyway.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Keep in mind how far the starting fluid has to travel from the end of the plastic hose to a combustion chamber. Suggest spraying through one of the vacuum ports. Given spark, you should at least get a pop out of the engine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am getting beautiful spark and sprayed directly in the vacuum port and nothing. I mean nothing!,,,

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
In your checking and changing the spark plugs, might you have reversed the order of the plug wires, or dislodged one or more at the distributor cap.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts