Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Spider Veloce
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I have a 1986 spider and I smelled gas yesterday while driving. Traced it to the hose going into the tank. It had a pinhole about 2” from the end by the tank. I took it off, cut it above the hole and put it back on. Car started for about 15 seconds and then died. It’s not starting. It’s not getting any fuel it seems like. Help! Thanks

·
Administrator
17,765 Posts
Welcome to the BB.

More likely a coincidence that you fixed the hose and now it won't start. Unless you lost so much fuel the tank is now empty...!

Check the fuel pump fuse - an in-line fuse holder next to the FI computer under the shelf behind the seats. If it is the original fuse holder that uses a 'bullet' type fuse replace the whole thing. The bullet type fuses are problematic. They can look OK but not allow electrons to flow. A blade type fuse (7.5amp) is much more reliable. Your '86 should have blade type fuses in the main fuse box but if it has the older style bullet fuses replace them. The fuses with a brass strip are better than the ones with an aluminum strip.

There are other things to check. Click on the link in my signature for a page of DIY diagnostic info. You may first need to click the down arrow to see the whole signature.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Any possibility that you removed the blade connectors on top of the fuel sender (and did not get them connected to the right terminals) when you were cleaning up the spilled fuel? If the in-tank pump isn't getting power, that might be enough to cause a no-start condition.

·
Registered
1987 Spider Veloce
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any possibility that you removed the blade connectors on top of the fuel sender (and did not get them connected to the right terminals) when you were cleaning up the spilled fuel? If the in-tank pump isn't getting power, that might be enough to cause a no-start condition.
I checked the blade connectors and they were on tight but now I’m wondering if the fuse might have blown since the fuel soaked all the connections and maybe shorted them

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I checked the blade connectors and they were on tight
and in the correct order? (I think that was more what Rich was pointing out)
the pump wire is the middle terminal and is pink/white
1614673032980.jpeg

also was the hose long enough to cut off 2" without it actually kinking somewhere?

and as we know things can happen just by coincidence on cars, I would also perhaps just confirm you are getting spark....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts