Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a speedometer gear that fits inside the transmission? I have been through just about everything else on my 86 Spider Quad speedometer. The shop I bought the pulse generator from suggested I try a replacement speedo gear in the transmission. I have tried all the online parts vendors I know without success.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
The shop I bought the pulse generator from suggested I try a replacement speedo gear in the transmission
odd thing for a shop to suggest, unless you know it is broken....it is not a part that normally fails at all.

What made you buy a new pulse generator? Did you test if the cable was turning? (if it was turning, the speedo drive gear is working)

Anyway, before buying one I'd check it first...2 screws and it should just pull out the tranny.
If you do need to replace it, count the teeth (they are all different, depending on final ratio)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
odd thing for a shop to suggest, unless you know it is broken....it is not a part that normally fails at all.

What made you buy a new pulse generator? Did you test if the cable was turning? (if it was turning, the speedo drive gear is working)

Anyway, before buying one I'd check it first...2 screws and it should just pull out the tranny.
If you do need to replace it, count the teeth (they are all different, depending on final ratio)
When the speedo first failed, I bought several pulse generators from APE. They all eventually failed. I sent the head and cable to a rebuild company who told me it had already been rebuilt, but suggested a new cable, which they provided. Next I went to a local (Reno area) aftermarket speedo shop and bought an aftermarket pulse generator. With the new pulse generator, the speedo now works intermittently. I added a second ground to the ground wire with no improvement. I had my mechanic check all the electrical connections. He also pulled the head and clened all the elctrical connectors. When I returned to the local speedo shop, he also inspected the wiring and pronounced it good. He said based on the rebuilt speedo head and new cable, the transmission gear was the next suspect. He did show me some failed gears with splines crushed or missing, said Fords are the worst but all can fail.

I'm so tired of chasing this, I am willing to try about anything. That said, I can't get under the car for about a week, when my disabled 240Z comes off the lift with a clean gas tank.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Dale

1 - 3 of 3 Posts