Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So my 86 ALFA Spider is getting REALLY close to the end of a full restoration. Drove to the dentist yesterday, turned the key off and the car continued to run. Killed engine by letting the clutch out. Had the mechanic work last night to replace the ignition switch (There are TWO car shows in town this weekend and I want to go...in my ALFA!) The switch is replaced but the problem still exists! IF you drop the fuse panel by the drivers left knee, the car runs normally. Put the fuse panel back and the problem comes back. I know... a short, right? BUT, my mechanic is a former Marine electronics tech and he is stumped.... SO, I come HUMBLY to the experts. (Too bad it's not a Harrier!) Any ideas?
Save My Carshow,
Ralph :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Need to check for loose wires on the back of the fuse box and make sure all the wires are in the correct places. Did you take any wires off when work was done to the car? Also pull some of the wires loose including the big red ones going into the box and check the condition of the fuse box around the terminals. The boxes sometimes melt around these then start giving you problems.

Also if the box has never been replaced you probably have the old style fuses. Pull all the fuses and clean all the contact surfaces were fuses plug into the box and clean the ends of the fuses also or replace them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I understand your frustration. I had all kinds of gremlins in my fuse box until my son-in-law (an electrical engineer) sorted out the spaghetti using Papajam's wiring diagram.

Also, a tip I picked up from Delmas Greene is to hold the fuses tightly in place using silicone O-rings. They work like a charm, especially with all of bouncing around I get on the lousy roads due to the never-ending construction in the Tampa Bay area!

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts