Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Spider Quadrifoglio with the original hard top. I would like to get some advice for two (seemingly) small repair items for the hard top:

1. The hard top is slightly warped (bowed upward) on the very outer edge near the center of the windshield. It lets in some water when I drive it in the rain. Any suggestions on how I might either flatten the hard top so it seals better, or add a new seal, etc?

2. One of the two little metal cleats that hold the inside hard top hooks in place on the hard top came loose on the passenger side. I tried re-gluing it in place with super glue, but it did not hold when I bolted the inside hook back on to the cleat. Any suggestions on how I get this cleat fixed to the hard top again, and sturdy enough to bolt to?

Any suggestions on either of these two items would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB, Steve!

The hard tops do bow when off the car, but if you fit it back on, it will re-gain its shape. Sometimes it takes a little while, but it will be ok, and then it won't leak. Can't really help on question #2, since it hasn't happened with mine.

Are you in Towson, MD? If so, you could contact the AROC Capital Chapter...

Best regards,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Enrique. Hopefully it will straighten out this year. It pretty much stayed warped last winter without straightening out, but ....maybe this year it will!

·
Registered
520 Posts
in AZ i would imagine you get enough sun. im guessing its probably the same side that your J-hook tether is unglued from.

check out your local hardware or surfshop (in AZ im sure) for a fiberglass ding-repair kit to re-glass the hook-cleet to.

the rubber underneath the front lip of the hardtop should be a firm cushion. it may have dried up and given out. Brad from arricambi.com provided me with a matching strip from some other alfa. im not sure which, but its not too different from the soft-top rubber that is used there. u might consider buying one for the softtop (bout 25 bucks) and if it doesnt work, u can restore the one on your current softop and not be wasting the money.

my J-hooks are from a hardware store. i use them with standard butterfly bolts to make it easy to take off.

this actually warns me now to not torque too hard on the side j-hooks anymore. o_O

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr. Guido! Actually, the J-hook tether is on the passenger side, and the warp is kind of in the front center of the top. That sounds like a good idea with the fiberglass repair kit - I will give it a try. Maybe I'll try to replace that gasket too, but right now the gap created by the bow in the top makes it about 3/8 inch above the chrome piece it's supposed to be sitting on. We'll see....

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts