Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Recently joined Alfa BB after just buying my second spider. I last owned one 10 years ago as daily transport but this time I have a garage and it's a second car. If only something like Alfa BB was available 10 years ago! I love these cars and always promised myself I'd have another one day. Well the day has arrived and I took a bit of a punt on a 1986 silver Quad. It's a RHD Bell & Colville conversion which is handy for driving in the UK! Needless to say, the 150 mile trip home showed up a few niggles, some of which have been sorted but a couple are still a mystery. Any advise you guys can offer would be much appreciated. The problems are as follows..

1 - The heater doesn't do any heating! The fan works fine, I can hear it and the light comes on. I have noticed that the car doesn't warm up very quickly and when it does, the temp guage sits about halfway between cold and the middle reading. I therefore suspected it may simply be a dodgy thermostat but there is no thermostat!! I'm not sure why and what impact this will have on the heater and general running of the car? I guess the PO must have removed it for some reason. This worries me a little!

2 - There is a juddering noise when pulling off in 1st gear. I suspect the clutch as both UJ's on the propo have just been replaced?

3 - The odometer doesn't work but the speedometer does. The PO had it on a limited mileage insurance policy so could it simply have been disconnected? Is it easy to reconnect or do I need a new cable?

4 - I need to replace the gearlever and handbrake gaiters as the originals are torn. This looks like it may be a pain the a**. Any advice on this one?

Thanks very much in anticipation

Rich

·
Administrator
16,366 Posts
1. Install a thermostat! Then bleed the cooling system.

1a. Does moving the lever on the console actually open the valve on the left side of the heater box? Are the heater hoses actually connected to the heater core? (sometimes folks bypass the heater core to mask leaks)

2. Motor mounts and gearbox mount in good condition?

3. AFAIK, the cable that drives the speedometer should also drive the odometer. But I could be wrong - stay tuned for more knowledgeable replies.

4. Learn the proper pronunciation of Italian swear words.

5. Pictures! We want pictures!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm not real sure on the other things but as far as the odo/speedometer cluster, it's not an easy fix. It is common though for the odometer to not work though, just like mine and many others!!
Most people remove the entire cluster and send it to Palo Alto Speedometer and have it fixed for around $200. I don't know if there is a similar place where you live though, I'm sure you could still send it to the USA to be fixed if you really wanted too...........

Great car, I'm partial to 86 Spiders anyway........:D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Juddering, QF niggles, gaiters? Got some funny English, mate.

Assuming gaiters is the rubber boot- you are correct, not an easy job for what seems like a minor part. You'll have to remove the center console if that's any consolation.

Send speedo to Palo Alto Speedo. Don't muck with it. Pay the lousy $200 and don't quibble for such a puny sum. Fancy a cuppa?

Juddering symptoms indicate the dreaded replacement of your uj's or the donut. There are plenty of threads here describing same. Use the search function.

I agree with above, determine why no thermostat is installed, replace t'stat and bleed system. Water boils at a higher temperature when pressurized.

Niggles can be bothersome. Suggest you rid yourself of them.

Duke

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Hi Rich, welcome to the BB

Your juddering may be a "dodgy" driveshaft center bearing & support. Use the search function to review previous posts on this subject.

Hi Folks,...2 - There is a juddering noise when pulling off in 1st gear. I suspect the clutch as both UJ's on the propo have just been replaced?...Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts