Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on all the little interior details. New Seats, carpet, top, boot...ect

Instrument cluster has a pretty heavy layer of dust behind the clear plexiglass.

I took a look at opening it up but was afraid to break the tabs removing the clear plastic "front glass" from the instrument cluster housing.

Any tips on opening the instrument panel up without damaging it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Remove the cluster from the dash, remove the circuit board/gauge assembly, and clean the lens from the inside. It is not a particularly difficult job but a bit tedious.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is possible to just remove the bezel that holds the plastic glass, without having to take the cluster out. I have done it a few times. It does mean twisting the plastic bezel a bit, so the older the more likely it might snap as it become more brittle over time.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
presuming we're talking monopod, the only way really is like Rich explained.
Remove instrument cluster, remove instrument gauges assy. from pod and then go in through the speedo and tach holes.
If it is only dust and bugs, a very soft haired brush and maybe light compressed air and a vacuum cleaner nozzle should get most of it.

the plexi is "spot glued" to the frame so can't be removed w/o risk of cracking it.
pod3.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
We are talking the monopod and the bezel with the plexiglass can be removed without removing the instrument cluster. I have done so 2-3 times over the years. When I do it again, I will take some photographs, but as I said, it is a bit risky.

Obviously, that will only get you access to the inside of the plexiglass and the front of the meters etc. Which I thought was enough as the original post was about dust behind the plexiglass.

So, yes for a proper thorough job remove the complete pod first. And it is a little safer too.

Jeroen

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
well, I agree
IF you want to take the risk, you could break the many glue spots with the pod still in the dash.....but you only really have a few acess points to actually exert any 'even' leverage...
monopod.JPG

yours is probably easy to do now as you have done it several times so the initial factory glue spots have already been broken apart and you don't really have to put it back with so many spots of glue ;)

On mine I wouldn't even attempt it as there are probably 50 spots of factory glue, and they are still all very intact...I did try it once when the pod was in my lap, but then thought forget it, it felt too risky....it just was not giving way.
When I had the instruments refurbed, I sent out the whole pod and the guy cleaned the plexi from the inside w/o me even asking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe mine was taken off, before I got ownership? Because I am pretty sure there was no glue spots on the bezel itself. I seem to recall just prying it from underneath first and then the bezel with the plexiglass just comes off. The trickiest part is actually once it is off, to pry it away from the steering console, it needs a bit of twist as I recall. But again, I think/though the bezel just clips in place on the pod, no glue. Or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Jeroen

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Maybe mine was taken off, before I got ownership? Because I am pretty sure there was no glue spots on the bezel itself.
Yes, it sounds like your lens was separated from the housing at some point. Dom's picture says it all. Removing the bezel does not typically provide means to remove the lens. The bezel, as you indicate, is a little tricky to remove with the steering wheel on (in the way) but not impossible. The bezel is not glued on at all. The glue spots are between the lens and the monopod housing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is great info. I tried to remove the glass from the front and ran into the issue that SpiderSeri4 discussed in post #6. Lots of spots on mine where the plexiglass is glued. Felt like trying to break each of them would surely end up in cracked glass.

How much of a job is it to remove the cluster, then once removed take the speedo and tach out to access the back of the glass with a soft brush and compressed air?

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
to take it out is not a big job at all.
to remove instruments from the back is just methodical work, unscrewing things, being careful.........a couple of hours altogether, working slow and methodical and it should be back and cleaned up.
Good time to check all bulbs and electrical plugs and apply a bit of contact cleaner.

But first check the tach and speedo are accurate.....if not, best have them repaired, especially after going thru the work of removing them.

what problem has yours got? bit of dust only or moisture stains on the inside of plexi?
got a photo?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Dom has it covered. I'll just add that imo, the two tedious steps are getting the bezel off/on and removing the three electrical connectors from the circuit board. I would avoid trying to remove the bezel on chilly day. Warmer ambient temperatures increase its flexibility.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts