Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Well it turns out that what I thought was an '85 Spider Graduate is actually an '86. Its ok as most of the parts will be the same.

The gas door release cable is broken and I have to open the trunk to manually open the gas door. I would like to replace the broken cable so that it works like it is supposed to.

Any advice or psots about this topic would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The only hard part is removing the release leaver assembly from the B piler panel to attach the inner cable end and seat the outer cable housing end. Actually you do not have to completely remove the lever assembly from the panel, but you do have to get the panel off enough to allow you accesss to the back of the leaver assembly. You can attach a string to the outer cable housing to feed out the old cable and then use the string to feed in the new cable if you want to. But it is not really necessary as feeding the new cable assembly back over the rear inner fender arch is not difficult. Just a hint, but sometimes the part of the handle assembly in which the outer cable end is captured wants to let the outer cable housing end jump out of it's retainer in the back of the handle assembly. If this happens to you, use a small hose clamp to hold the retainer halfs together. (you will understand what I am talking aobut once you get to the back side of the release leaver assembly). The hose clamp will insure that the 2 halfs stay together and keep the outer cable housing end well secured. If the end of the outer cable jumps out of it's retainer halfs, the inner cable will have nothing to pull against and the cable will not release. All clear as mud, right? Once you access the back side of the leaver assembly, you will see instantly how it all works and what I am talking about regarding the split (into 2 halfs) socket of the outer cable housing seat. I will try to get out to the garage and photo the back side of a release assembly. All this works the same on the trunk release leaver assembly as well.

Good Luck, Robert Hill in Memphis TN

1959 red Giulietta Spider Veloce
1988 black Spider Veloce
1988 red Spider Quad

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert,
Thank you for that. I found a new cable on the IAP web site for $9, so as soon as I need to order something else to make the shipping worth while, I will order it. I think I will use the string to pull the sheath through to get the old one out and then use it agian to pull the new one in. I will be tinkering around with it more in the next few days...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's plausible to leave the cable sheath in place and remove the cable proper, then when a replacement cable is obtained, just stuff it through the already in place sheath. Good way to ensure lube goes the full length of the cable n sleeve too as just doing exposed ends and working it doesn't do a lot to get the middle section as well lubed.

If the old sheath isn't cracked up, kinked, or otherwise a wreck you can save a lot of heartache by taking that route onnaconna it's not always a joy stuffing a new sheath through wherever and trying to do any bends it may need to take in the process.

Hood release cable w/sheath: not so bad
Trunk: SOB
Gas cover: dunno I don't have one, but as it's in the trunk and runs parallel to the trunk release cable....

BTW, if you've not done it or mabe not even thought of it yet, now would be the time to seriously consider fabbing up an emergency hood release cable and possibly a trunk release cable too. (link in FAQ at the top of this subsection)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts