Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am. I've got my new water pump and A/C compressor in hand. Finally ready for reassembly.

I get the compressor and take off the seal caps on S and D hose fittings. Never looked at it before now. What could go wrong?

Hello Mr. Murphy.

My replacement compressor has o-ring fittings. My original has flare fittings. Called IAP and they said they sell a ton of these (o-ring type). No issues reported. Also, you'll notice in pic that new one is actually longer and it would be impossible to mount to engine block. Numbers on original are Sanden SD507 Model 9173.

I did not get replacement from IAP. It was from another large supplier.

I am at a total loss (and standstill). I emailed question to Sanden tech support. No answer yet.

Bueller? Bueller?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Progress!

I may have actually found a solution. After some more searching I went to acparts.com. They have a model 9173 with the flare fittings for only $209 plus shipping. They even had a dimensional drawing to view.

Needless to say I trounced on this one.

And I did find yet another alternative. I could send old unit to AustinRebuilders.com. For less than $250 I could get the original rebuilt. I would have no problem sending old unit for rebuild as, other than flare fittings, it's still just a Sanden compressor and they do a bunch of them.

Still would appreciate any input on this. Don't know why or how Spider owners are getting their IAP replacements to work.

I live in Florida. I need my A/C!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I bought a new A/C compressor from IAP in 2006 for my 1984 Spider... I had an Alfa shop (they are truly excellent, and charge accordingly) install it and they didn't report any issues. I believe that the A/C makes a Spider much more usable than if it did not have one, but I do find that many (if not most) owners do not want to invest the money in refurbishing a failing A/C system.

Best regards,

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing the work myself is not a problem - especially when it would cost many hundreds at a shop. I've got all the tools. With the wrong flange dimensions, no A/C shop would be able to mount unit to block.

Guess I'll sell the the new "wrong" compressor on Ebay. It's brand new and never even been mounted. Surely someone can use it for the right price.

The A/C part of my project should be just cost of parts and freon. Easily less than four hundred. At a shop I'm guessing around a grand - if not more.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah, I don't see how you could make that one fit or use it! Have you tried calling the supplier back to see if they will take it back (show them the pictures)? I've found most of them to be pretty understanding as they know we can't get to everything as soon as we get it arrives, I returned a faulty item once after I had had it for over 6 months and finally got around to installing it only to find that it was bad. It probably helps if you've bought a fair amount from them in the past.

Kevin

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will contact supplier soon. No rush as the correct unit should be on its way. I've had replacement sealed in box for at least a year.
The mystery here is that the unit from IAP has o-ring fittings. You can see it in their illustration plus I had the IAP agent actually check one in inventory. Definitely o-ring connections.
I'm thinking maybe I have a European model Spideer (still left-hand drive) and maybe they used different compressors with flare fittings. Just grabbing straws here...
Also, I don't know if the IAP compressor is shorter than my incorrect replacement. That too would be another mystery if IAP's was also longer in length.
When I eventually sort all of this out , I will get with IAP to share my findings and hopefully help others down the road.

This is so odd....,

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It's been a while since I looked but I think yours looks like the one from a Milano, not sure if that and the Spider one were the same.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts