Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 86 spider and the last few times I went to start it, it wouldn't start until gave it a little gas.

Started it this morning and had to give it gas. But after it started the fuel hose burst right where it connects to the rear fuel filter. I got a bucket under the car and it drained out the entire tank.

What could I investigate as the larger cause of this issue? Could the pump be clogged/need to be replaced? I hear also the hose is sometimes too crimped or not enough slack.

I'm going to replace the hose but would like to fix the larger problem.

Thanks for your help and consideration. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
764 Posts
At the inlet of the fuel pump? The only pressure there is the in tank fuel pump and I cant see it bursting a line that was in good condition. Was the line that burst of fuel line material or some lesser quality? How did your in tank pump keep running and empty the tank, unless it created some type of siphon. I have never seen that but I have never confronted this issue before. I would start at the source, check that the in tank pump is working properly, check all your supply lines and then test your main pump. Maybe blow air back through the supply line between fuel rail and main pump to check for blockage, maybe check all of them! Sounds interesting.....

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
That hose was probably 30+ years old and never designed for ethanol. It probably just cracked from old age.

I would take the time to replace all the fuel hoses. I just replaced a few on our 87 Milano that I missed last year, one was so old and brittle I was able to rip it with my hands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. Yes it is at the fuel filter inlet. It looks like the original hose and also is falling part easily. Will replace the hoses, just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I need to do while I'm down there.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,279 Posts
If they're original replace ALL the hoses. There's two sections connecting the hard lines to the rail in the engine bay, and then the four short sections to the injectors. Those are all at 35 psi and if one goes you're screwed.

Very important to use proper high pressure fuel injector hose and to get the correct hose diameter for each part. Fuel lines at the rail are not something you want to get sort of right.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
764 Posts
Fuel rail ones need to be 7.5 mm ID for sure and 13mm OD if you are going to use the original style ferrules instead of clamps. The rest of the system is fine with 5/16 and proper injection hose clamps for lines under pressure. Make sure to use fuel rated hose. Cut open the old fuel filter and see what kind of filth the pump has been sucking up.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is not a bad idea to replace all fuel lines on an old Spider. Your fuel lines are as old as the Spider, most likely. i.e. some 34 years or thereabouts. Modern fuels and especially those that have ethanol in it, play havoc with our original fuel lines. But even without the ethanol, over time they just perish. Better safe than sorry. Replace all the bits underneath the tank and near the engine. If I remember correctly there are steel lines running back and forth, but near the engine, fuel pressure regulator, there are several bits of hose too. I know, because that is where mine burst!, weeks after I bough my Spider. I was driving on the motorway and just noticed how the fuel gauge was coming down way to quickly!

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
The result of 35 year old fuel lines that split.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts