Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now moving on to testing the fuel system since I was able to get the intake reassembled.
I've replaced the tank pump, and will test the under car pump. I've also bought both new relays, and will replace the altitude corrector[it doesn't ohm out properly according to the L Jet diagnosis sticky] as well as the fuse holder.

Now, when I removed the parcel shelf there was evidence of water intrusion. The wires themselves look good, there's no body rust, but unfortunately the relays and the fuel ecu itself show signs of being drowned. The car has a new roof, so I suspect rain and snow in the interior.

My questtion right now is how can I verify if the fuel ecu is any good? Any way to count check engine flashes or other test?
On a related note, are there any shops that specialize in refurbing fuel ecus?
Thanks

·
Administrator
17,004 Posts
My questtion right now is how can I verify if the fuel ecu is any good? Any way to count check engine flashes or other test?
L-jet does not have any OBD (On Board Diagnostics). Best I can offer is to test everything else (sensors, grounds, system voltage, etc) and if no faults there then replace the computer with a known good unit.

On a related note, are there any shops that specialize in refurbing fuel ecus?
I have read good reports about ECU Doctors but I have not used them myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and that L Jet write up.
Is there a way to check for the pulse from the coil at the relay?
Could I do that with a Volt/ohm meter or does it require specialized equipment?

The fuel ecu looks pretty bad externally, I'm going to pull it out and look at[and clean] the connections. But since I can't test it I'm pretty sure it will be replaced...underhood looks good to me...nothing cut or spliced, so I believe that apart from the aftermarket stereo the car is unmolested. Nevertheless, I will take your advice and verify.
Thanks again.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The first question is, is there spark at the spark plugs? If there's no spark, then the fuel ECU will not pulse the fuel injectors. If there is spark at the plugs, fuel injector pulse from the ECU can be checked with a noid light. This is essentially a light that plugs into a fuel injector connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the engine will fire if fed starting fluid, however this is an inconveniant way to drive. If I can manage it, I'll post a picture of the FECU.
I remeber noid lights from the dark ages....I'll see if I can borrow one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, put a noid on it and no injector pulse....also put an inline spark tester and got strong spark...So, FECU out and going to ECU doctor. I'll try to take a picture of it and post it. But for those who have an imagination, put your FECU in a bucket of water, leave it there for a month, take it out and let it air dry. It looks very bad.

They will probably be cell phone pictures, don't expect much. I'm not a good photographer.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
the engine will fire if fed starting fluid, however this is an inconveniant way to drive. If I can manage it, I'll post a picture of the FECU

We are having the same issue with our '85 spider, checked and have a great spark, but do not have 12v at the injectors? From what I can tell the injectors are fed with 12v and the ECU tells them when to open with completing the ground circuit.

From what I can tell our sensors are working fine.

·
16,232 Posts
bfitz241,
I added the ECU pictures you sent me to your post.

930cabman,
From what I can tell the injectors are fed with 12v and the ECU tells them when to open with completing the ground circuit.
Absolutely correct!!
The 12v power comes the main relay which is the smaller of the two relays by the fuel ECU. Whenever the key is turned on, there should be 12v at the injectors (on BOTH terminals actually). If you're not getting 12v with the key on, I would pull the main relay and check for battery voltage at terminal #30 of the relay socket. No power would suggest a problem with the unfused wire from the battery plus terminal to main relay terminal 30. If there is power at terminal 30, fashion a jumper wire and connect terminal 30 to both #87 terminals. Do the injectors have 12v now?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
"Bfitz", quite ugly ECU, I would vote for "the ugliest ECU", but if she works, what the hell. At one point in the past I spoke with a guy who was happy to bench test a Bosch ECU for $350.00, seems kinda steep for me, but the alternative?

Jim, thanks again for the wiring diagrams sent a few weeks ago, they have been very valuable. According to the diagram a red wire feeds one side of each injector, the other side is fed from an individual wire from the ECU. If I plug my voltmeter into the red wire (at the injector connector) and to engine ground, we should have 12v, Y/N? If this is so, would it follow the ECU would complete the "ground leg" of the circuit to open the injector?

·
16,232 Posts
If I plug my voltmeter into the red wire (at the injector connector) and to engine ground, we should have 12v, Y/N? If this is so, would it follow the ECU would complete the "ground leg" of the circuit to open the injector?
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting those pictures for me. I sent it to ECU DOCTOR in Florida. We'll see what they have to say.
I'm going to put a voltmeter across the injector terminals to verify voltage...learn something every day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have purchased replacement exchange units with the ECU Doctor and they have been excellent units. I have done this twice for my Porsche 914/Sixer (3.2 Convert). Seemingly expensive but these are the ones I would use for the Alfa. I need to send one ECU to them for checking and repair. Hope this info helps.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Why twice for your 914/3.2? because shes moving too fast. That baby must fly! How did you manage to stuff the six in there? Pics?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My car and all the new parts including DME (two) were stolen stolen while moving from Arizona to Oregon. There are parts that you want to have as backup because you can hardly find them. I had my original one rebuild, then stolen with parts, and then had a second one rebuilt.

Lots of room for the 3.6 Sixer exchange and easy to adapt.

The Alfa spiders have room for Ford V8s and there have been several done along with the Alfa V6 installations.

Just money and taking the time to do it once you have determined it is what you want todo. I prefer OEM but in the case of the 914 it was a roller chassis headed to the wrecking yard. Great project and has kept me busy on it for 8 years. Very enjoyable hobby; quick and agile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Alfa spiders have room for Ford V8s and there have been several done along with the Alfa V6 installations.

Oh really? I assume you mean the 289/302? I've got a set of SVO heads, a TCI balancer....some rods and an a Victor Jr....think a TKO 600 will fit under the floorpan? I think a friend of mine has an extra 302 block

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate the offer. That one looks different from mine...are they interchangeable?
If mine doesn't work out with ECU doc I'll be in touch.

·
16,232 Posts
The 0 227 400 003 shown above is the ignition ECU (fits all Spiders 82-89).
The 84-89 fuel ECU is Bosch 0 280 000 221 (82 & 83 Spiders use 0 280 000 206).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts