Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here, so forgive me if I missed anything in my searches of previous posts. I recently acquired a 1986 Spider Veloce with 39K miles in great shape. The engine is all stock and well maintained. Modifications by previous owner include bolt-on frame stiffener, racing suspension springs, headers with straight exhaust. The engine and transmission mounts have been replaced recently, the steering linkages have been rebuilt/restored, and the trailing arm bushings replaced. It has a new top and the seat cushions have been replaced. I just had a new stereo put in it because the old Alpine had blown speakers and I wanted something that plays cds and has and ipod port.
My plan is to do some performance upgrades to the engine. I am looking to have a local machinist port the heads, and I have a good mechanic lined up to install racing cams and some forged pistons. I am looking for suggestions for other internal engine upgrades to increase the horsepower. I also need some suggestions on how to tune the ingnition and fuel injection. Can the stock computers be tuned, or should I invest in new ignition and fuel injections systems so it can all be tuned to the mechanical upgrades? By the way it is equipped with the Bosch L-jetronic system, not SPICA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric,
It'll take a lot more money to fix this nut than getting more hp out of the 2L 4 banger under the hood. I'll try to post some pics soon. Anyone got any opinions on the best source for performance engine parts (I have found IAP and Centerline.) Also wondering if anyone has experince/opinions/advice on what systems work well with this engine when considering changing the fuel injection and ignition to ones that can be tuned. I really want to get some more hp, but if I do the mechanical upgrades for higher CR, higher cam lift, bigger valves, etc., then I won't see the gains unless the injection and ignition can be tuned accordingly.

Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.