Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have completed restoring most lights:
Engine bay, L & R front parking lights, Rear parking lights, License plate light, interior courtesy lights(both sides), Left
Headlight, glove box light, L rear brake light.
The two which are still mystery lights: 1. Cooling fan light in front of radiator: Dash indicator keeps going on & off & flickering any time after you start to drive, when radiator is not hot & A/C off; 2. Stop light in center of spoiler on trunk lid.

Perhaps there is a loose connection on switch for radiator fan. Exactly where is it?

Trunk stop light: never comes on, & I can not get continuity to ground from socket, & no power to socket. Is this model supposed to have the trunk stop light? I have wiring diagram. Chief Bre

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
151 Posts
It is supposed to have a working 3rd break light (in the spoiler)

I know because mine was working yesterday and stopped today.

Don’t know why, but per your question - it should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chief,
I bought my 86 Spider QV a year ago. It had been previously stored in a non-air conditioned metal shed in South Florida for almost four years. The only significant tasks I had getting it back on the road, besides replacing all the fluids, the battery and the two fuel pumps was replacing almost every light bulb in the vehicle. It must have been the humidity that got to them. There are a surprising number of them but they were not particularly difficult to replace. However oddly the spoiler break light that you mention actually was and still is working properly.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,745 Posts
The two which are still mystery lights: 1. Cooling fan light in front of radiator: Dash indicator keeps going on & off & flickering any time after you start to drive, when radiator is not hot & A/C off
There is no light for the electric radiator fan. Do you mean the coolant temperature warning light? That connects to the sensor on the top of the head, behind spark plug #4.

Trunk stop light: never comes on, & I can not get continuity to ground from socket, & no power to socket. Is this model supposed to have the trunk stop light? I have wiring diagram. Chief Bre
I believe there's a pin power transfer assembly from the trunk surround to the trunk lid. Look closely and you should see it. This is notorious for getting dirty and causing a bad connection. It only connects when the trunk is closed, so if you're measuring with the trunk open you'll get open connections.

Photos here: 87 Spider issue with spoiler brake light

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no light for the electric radiator fan. Do you mean the coolant temperature warning light? That connects to the sensor on the top of the head, behind spark plug #4.

I believe there's a pin power transfer assembly from the trunk surround to the trunk lid. Look closely and you should see it. This is notorious for getting dirty and causing a bad connection. It only connects when the trunk is closed, so if you're measuring with the trunk open you'll get open connections.

Photos here: 87 Spider issue with spoiler brake light
The dash light that keeps coming off & on shows on dash diagram shows # 13, blower warning light, but I don't know which blower it is connected to. It may be nothing, but it is veery annoying while driving. Chief Bre

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dash light that keeps coming off & on shows on dash diagram shows # 13, blower warning light, but I don't know which blower it is connected to. It may be nothing, but it is veery annoying while driving. Chief Bre

·
Administrator
17,241 Posts
The dash light that keeps coming off & on shows on dash diagram shows # 13, blower warning light, but I don't know which blower it is connected to.
Sounds like you may describing the heater's blower motor dash light. Only Alfa would put that into the speedometer and put the high beam light in the console...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,745 Posts
Yeah, I think Eric is right. What I've heard can happen is that air coming in through the vents can spin the motor enough to light up the light, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe try closing the vents with the lever in the center console, see if that helps? Otherwise it's probably a loose electrical connection somewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What I've heard can happen is that air coming in through the vents can spin the motor enough to light up the light, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe try closing the vents with the lever in the center console, see if that helps? Otherwise it's probably a loose electrical connection somewhere.
Yes, that happens in my 86QV with the vents open and at speed. The air through the vents drives the fan motor and you will see the yellow/amber fan light lighting up somewhat.

Jeroen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts