Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I bought two Alfa Spiders about one year ago. I drive one on a regular basis and I restore the other one during my spare time. With three young children, I can tell you that the project is going slowwww ! With two Spiders I can drive one now and take my time to restore the other as I want.

The goal is to rebuild a complete car, learn, have fun and one day drive the car I was dreaming about when I was sixteen. It's not my first project. I've been working on cars as an hobby for 20 years, but I never did a complete tear-down project.

Here is the project:

A 86 Spider I bought $1200 in the USA in May 2008.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

The body is not too bad, but there is some rust: spare wheel well, rocker panels, left floor pan and some minor spots elsewhere. The interior is bad, dirty, large cracks on dash, etc.

Mechanically, the car has 60K miles, engine has good compression but oil in coolant liquid. The car was not running when I bought it but the engine started before I removed it from the car. Nothing electric is working ! I don't care about that for now... I already rebuilt the gearbox and it is in my other Spider... the test is done, I know I can rebuild an Alfa gearbox with success ! Over 12K miles without any problem !

First step was to remove the interior:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel

Urban area Scrap Engine Auto part Machine

That's the easy part... removing and taking notes of everything. I have now over 300 part numbers with notes.

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

It tooks about three days to remove all the interior and the engine with gearbox.

More to come...

Dominic

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Floor pan and spare wheel well

The left floor pan was rusty and I decided to replace the complete pan. Samething with the spare tire well. I will use POR-15 to protect the floor and the tire well

Electrical wiring Subcompact car

Cookware and bakeware Metal

Gas

Engine bay after some cleaning...

Vehicle Car Engine Classic car

Underside I removed the undercoating with propane torch and a paint scraper. Not a fun job... thanks to the lift and thanks to my buddy ! The beer is better after that tough !

Rust Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

And the work goes on !

Dominic

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dolly

Here is the dolly I made for the project.

Table Wood Plywood Furniture Hardwood

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Tire Bumper

I would like to paint the interior this weekend and install an "insulator mat". All interior parts hided by the carpet will be painted by myself with POR-15 black. The car will be professionally painted black (solid black)... I know I know I know... painting my white Spider in black could increase the cost of my decals ;)

I know the guy who will paint the car. My plan is to have the paint done in two steps. First step: engine bay, trunk, interior (not carpeted), windshield frame, etc. In that way, I would do the interior, the drivetrain, etc, without the fear of scratching the new paint...

I'm there... after one year... in French we have a slogan : "Lentement mais surement"... translated in English it could be Slowly but surely :)

Dominic

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insulator mat

I did not have a lot of time in the last days... but I'm almost done with the insulator mat. I bought it at a local audio shop. The guy told me that his product is as good as Dynamat... I have no idea if it's true or not, but I had no problem installing it. I used a hard wood roller and it was pretty easy to do. It will take 40 square feets. I bought 30 sqf the first time... now I have 10 more sqf to install !

Auto part Engine

Machine

Dominic
Quebec, Canada
87 Silver Quad Spider (summer daily driver)
86 Black Graduate (restoration project)

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Undercoating

The Spider will leave for the paint next week. I finished the undercoating last night. The painter will put a coat of chassis black urethane paint over the undercoating. The rest of the car will be Jet Black AR-913.

I use 9 spray cans for the entire underbody... what a pain for the finger !!!

Here is some pictures:

Auto part Vehicle Engine

Tire Automotive tire Fender Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Engine

Vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more pictures of the progress

Hi everyone !

I'm still waiting for the car. My Alfa is still at the paint shop but I continue to work on other parts when I have time.

I rebuilt the trailing arms, the T-Bar and the rear axle. Here is some pictures:

First, the trailing arms... before !
Gun Firearm Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car

I had to removed the old bushings... not too bad, but it needs to be patient ! I drilled to old rubber and used a metal saw to cut the sleeve of the old bushing.
Machine Machine tool Drilling Tool Jig grinder

Auto part Machine tool Tool accessory

Here is the result without the new bushings... sandblasted and painted.

The fun continue !

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear axle

I decided to completely rebuilt the rear axle since I have it in hands. I have the tools for that and I already did that job a few times in the past... more than 10 years ago though and on Ford and Jeep axles only.

I dismantled the brake parts, shafts, axle tubes and everything was sandblasted and painted before rebuilding.
Auto part

I've made a kind of tool to hold the flange when I had to tighten the pinion nut.
Auto part Machine

While I replaced the bearings, I had to adjust the pinion and crown wheel alignment. That's a bit different than other differential I was familiar with.
I obtained a good pattern and 0.015 inch of backlash. I'm a bit over specs, but I can live with that for a street car with less than 100HP at the wheels !
Blue Tire Automotive tire Coil spring Auto part

Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Steel Metal

Auto part Engine

Next... handbrake and shafts.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear axle... completed !

I've put new bearings on shafts, new brake pads and here is the final result (less one caliper that I did not finished yet)

Advice... when pressing the bearing stopper ring... heat it A LOT before !

Cylinder Machine

New seals and Voila !

Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Disc brake Wheel

Machine tool Auto part Machine Wheel Chassis

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Wheel Rotor

And the T-Bar...
Bicycle part Carbon

Next step... front suspension...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Dominic:

Looking great! Well...other than that slow black paint you are planning to put over that fast white paint!:D:D:D Keep the photos coming!! When you coming down to start on my SS? :D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dominic,

I recently joined the Alfa BB and was browsing thru the threads when I saw your restauration project..

Wow.. great job so far and from the details you have shown. I have no doubt the final product will be great!

I have a 1987 Black Alfa Spider Graduate that I have now owned for over 20 years.

I live in Montreal and perhaps when your done... you could work on mine!

Just joking.. enjoy the project and keep the pictures coming.

Let me know how the paint job turns out.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I will let you know as soon as I have something new. For now I'm working on the head gasket on my 87 Quad. I will be back on the 86 project maybe the next weekend.

The 86 Spider is supposed to be back from body shop in few weeks. The guy who paints my car is doing that in his spare time and it seems that he doesn't have much spare time !!! Not a real problem for me tough.

Gabrial, glad to hear from a fellow Alfisti in Quebec ! I live in Trois-Rivieres (one hour drive).

Regards,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to hear from you.

I just reactivated the plates yesterday and took the car out of storage and a spin yesterday.

Let me know when you get the car back from the paint shop.

Maybe I can take a drive out on a weekend and see your work in progress!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gabrial, you're welcome... I will let you know as soon as I get the car back from the paint shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bonjour Daniel,

I was wondering if you could assist.

Would you have a spare functioning Speedometer sender unit, since you have two spiders?

My speedometer recently stoped functioning.
I tested the cable and it does turn.

I am not sure if it is the Speedometer sender that is faulty or the Speedometer itself.

If you would allow me to do a test with your unit on site.... It would help me finish trouble shooting the problem.

If you know someone in the area that has a speedometer sender or speedometer for sale... let me know. I have an 1987 Alfa Spider Graduate.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.