Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the alternator belt break and I'm struggling to understand how to replace it. I assume I'll need to adjust the alternator inwards to get enough slack in the belt, but I can't fathom how one gets the belt over the pulley that drives the cooling fan. Am I being daft?

Does the cooling fan need to be removed?
Does the serpentine belt also need to be removed?

Thanks guys,
Mike

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am guessing you have A/C. The A/C belt has to be removed first. The easiest way is to remove the radiator to get to the belts. If you remove the rad, replace it's hoses at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
may not have to remove radiator

You might be able to get to the allen head bolts that hold the front of the 2-piece AC belt pulley to the crank pulley by removing the four nuts that hold the shroud to the radiator and then pulling the shroud back off the radiator towards the motor.

You would have to remove the shroud to get the radiator out anyway, so once you get the shroud disconnected from the radiator, try to push the shroud back towards the block and see if that gives you enough clearance to get at the little allen head bolts on the front of the crank AC pulley. You will have to rotate the fan blades a bit to get access to each bolt, but be careful not to pull or push too hard on the tips of the fan blades as they can get brittle with age.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
... be careful not to pull or push too hard on the tips of the fan blades as they can get brittle with age.
His fan is going to spin without much resistance; remember, the belt is gone. But perhaps this is good advice when re-attaching the AC pulley, once the water pump-alternator belt is in-place.

Reactions: alfabeach
1 - 4 of 4 Posts