Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I couldn't resist ... More photos... :D

And I've been doing a little claeaning up myself :)

I've got to make sure the rest of the car matches the new paint. :D

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
"Finish looks AWESOME! I didn't see any orange peel. What brand of paint?"

Thank you!

Du Pont Chroma urethane enamel. Base coat/Clearcoat. They made some extra "just in case."

They still have to paint the back black and apply the stone gaurd on the bottom, among a few other things.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice!

You might want to consider this:

I had our front spoiler painted with the stone guard (looks like they rolled the paint on). After 15+ years, it took a beating from small stones on the highways.... Since it's down low, you can't really tell, either...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some more photos, I'm starting to put back all of the parts the were removed. Scary time this is ... I don't want to scratch the new paint! I keep reminding myself to slow down and take my time.

Oh yea, they also painted the back black.

The parts go on now

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now, on to the front.

Can you spot the mistake? It took me a while... I didn't remove the cowl.
Now which way does it go? :)

Now I know that what's behind me isn't important:D I still have to put on the mirrors. I painted the black parts with a gloss black, I'm not sure if I should have gone with a semi gloss... I can always remove them and respray later.

I had issuesw with the drivers side mirror shaking, I found the the set screw hole was cracked, so I fixed it! I used a heli-coil kit (6mmx1.0)

It seems tight now

Next up the doorhandles and reattaching the linkage for the doorhandles ... I'm having a hard time with the linkage.

Oh yea! I also had the "starts and runs for two seconds then dies" yesterday!!! It was the AAV, cleaned & adjusted it. Now she starts.

Why is it that all the parts that fail on this car are German? Some times I whish it had SPICA. :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is one of the most informative and interesting postings I've seen in a long time.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Duke58 This is one of the most informative and interesting postings I've seen in a long time.

Thank you for sharing.
Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much)

I don't think that I could own this car out here in the middle of nowhere without this site. so i'm just trying to give back a little of what I've recieved :D

How do I do the Quote thingy?

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Outstanding work!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, Bob, super work, now your Spider is new, here in Italy, Spider S3 gold are very rare, i have one bus is Silver....

My compliments very beautiful work!!!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Are there many alfas or spiders in Honolulu, or are you the only owner of such a car?
Not to many Alfas at all, although there is a gtv6 down the street and up the hill are a couple of spiders from where I live.

Outstanding work!
RPMS Autobody in Kaneohe, almost across the street from where I work, great bunch of people there.

Spider S3 gold are very rare
I havn't seen any others around but I heard that there is another gold one on the windward side of Oahu (the side that I work on)

Grazie Mille (sp?)

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The rear bumper is on! The top 4 bolts are a PITA and I don't even have any humus! (Sorry, really, really, sorry.) Speaking of PITA Those &@^# door handles are killin' me. I'm having a hard time with the linkage.

I installed the weather stripping in front of the cowl - I think This is how it goes

And the painted over the spot welds on the inside of the fender

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Looks fantastic. That's money well spent!! I think you're right in how you mounted the weather stripping, at least it makes sense to me.....I don't have it on my Duetto, and am wondering if it should be there:eek:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Looking good. That gasket is in the correct orientation. The leading edge of the wiper cowl actually goes on top of half the gasket so that half of the rubber gasket is sandwiched between the hood gutter and the cowl leading edge, leaving the other half of the gasket to curl up keeping water from pouring down the fire wall.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Looking good. That gasket is in the correct orientation. The leading edge of the wiper cowl actually goes on top of half the gasket so that half of the rubber gasket is sandwiched between the hood gutter and the cowl leading edge, leaving the other half of the gasket to curl up keeping water from pouring down the fire wall.

Best Regards,
John M
So that's how it works. Thank you. They have the hood hidden away for now. It's been painted already & don't want anything to happen to it. :D They were waiting untill they painted over the spot welds.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow that looks fantastic! Very fast too, most body shops take much much longer. Did you ever find that reflector? By the way, the gold is color is stunning and the spot welds are quite nicely covered. Great work!

Good luck,
Andy

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did you ever find that reflector?
NO, No one has them! I'm going to have to call in a favor (I don't Like to do that) My friend moved home to Italy for a while, I might have to ask him if he can find any.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I may know someone that could provide them used, but I'm not sure if he has any. When I had my headlight reinstalled the body shop ordered the parts from him and they did not get the part, so I am not sure if they just didn't feel it was necessary to make the car street legal (that was the deal) or if the guy didn't have them. I'll call him Monday and see if he has any.

Good luck,
Andy

21 - 40 of 50 Posts