Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here goes ... I finaly got the photos loaded on photobucket.

Many moons ago some #$%@! squished my beloved Spider whilst I was at work. It then sat for a few weeks while I hunted down a bodyshop that I trust & also does excelent work. I found one. She's still there. He works kinda slowly. But that's okay, my boss lets me take the company cars home. :D The shop is walking distance to the store so I've been visiting the patient and taking photos of the progress.

While we were looking at the damage from the accident we found some small bubbles under the paint ... UP that stuff I'm not even going to write that word here. So, we decided to fix that "while we're there." Also "while we're there I decided to have another smaller dent fixed from another hit and run.

To much writing now to the photos ...

This is what I saw when I got to my car after work :mad:

From the other hit & run ...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Do you know who hit it? Time to call Dog the bounty hunter!!!:D Only a commercial truck could've done that damage at a low speed in a parking lot. That is a monster of a crease in the front bumper, whatever had hit it, did not have rounded off bumpers like on most cars. Bummer!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There was no note and no witness. There were marks and holes from lug nuts so yes it was a large truck.

So now I start to remove parts to keep the cost down a little. Most of this was done at work. Thank you Fearless Leader! This is when I find MORE of that stuff! :(

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
whoa! Sorry to hear about this... I just got mine back after it was hit and had the body shop repaint the whole car... Looks better than when I got it..

Ed

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Off to the bodyshop! Where I remove more parts, bumpers, door handles, spoilers, light assys (can I say that here?) etc.

Then they put the needle scaler to use removing the stone protector, paint and more of that stuff.

·
Registered
460 Posts
looks like they are doing a good job. Let me be the first one to ask: what is the cost of the job? there are several threads here (or the other board) about the cost of a paint job... so someone wasbound to as sooner or later.
About the fender, it is going to get a new one or they are going to pound the old one out?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Aloha.

It does look like that the body shop you chose is digging into this deep. That is, they appear ot be doing things appropriately.

Good luck and I hope your car comes back keu ā ka u'i!

·
Registered
246 Posts
It appears that the body shop is at least being thorough...nice to see. Have seen too many shops take too many short cuts. Be sure to keep us posted and be sure to post some more pics when your back on the road....

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Posted by bob7468
...So, we decided to fix that "while we're there." Also "while we're there I decided to have another smaller dent fixed...
Even though it isn't cheap, it is cheaper overall to do it all at once. Also, I think that one focused effort yields better results. Your going to have a beautiful car after it's painted.

Best regards,

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ouch! I hope you find out who hit you. I had the same area crunched on my Spider too. Glad to see you are getting your fixed up properly. Looks like they are doing a good job. Be sure to post some pictures of the car after the new paint.

Andy

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aloha!

I just got back from the body shop, I had to remove the mirrors and some other trim items so they could spray the primer :) More on this later ...

Even though it isn't cheap, it is cheaper overall to do it all at once. Also, I think that one focused effort yields better results. Your going to have a beautiful car after it's painted.
That's basicly why I'm going this route, do it once and do it right. I've waited almost my whole life for an Alfa Romeo so I'm keeping this one.

Good luck and I hope your car comes back keu ā ka u'i!
Mahalo nui loa cousin! So do I! :D

looks like they are doing a good job. Let me be the first one to ask: what is the cost of the job?
Including all of the labor to cut, weld, shape, fill, etc. apx $7,000 Yes I know ... But, I'll have an almost new car and there aren't many Alfas around here in my neck of the ocean (Hawaii is the most isolated place on the planet after all)

About the fender, it is going to get a new one or they are going to pound the old one out?
New pieces are being used, a new fender and a new nose. I realy wish that i could afford this. :eek:

I hope that I did the Quotes properly

More photos!

Who'da thunk it?

More later ...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Posted by bob7468
...apx $7,000 Yes I know ... But, I'll have an almost new car...

...I realy wish that i could afford this. :eek:
Bobby,
That's really not a bad price at all. I think a lot has to do with the fact that your car looks like it was in good shape to begin with. Take it from someone who has done what you are doing to a Spider that is a keeper: your Spider will look as good as any new car (with better styling, of course :D ) and it is much more affordable than the monthly payments of a new car! :) Congrats on doing things right!

Best regards,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks almost the same as my 86 after a elderly chap turned in front of me with a van.
His insurance would only go $4600 so I had to scrounge a front bumper ,turn signals and head light assembly to cover the cost.
I got my fender and nose from IAP and my body shop man said that he had one heck of a time getting everything aligned....I guess a common problem with after market sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my body shop man said that he had one heck of a time getting everything aligned
One of the fist things he did was put it on the frame straightener to realine the fender.

More photos ...

More photos on the way

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, by the way, I do need the side marker light assembly (The one in the side of the front bumper.) I can't find one anywhere.

Still more to come later.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some photos of the last steps before the primer is sprayed. I had to remove the mirrors and some other smaller items.

Okay, I think that's it for now untill the primer is sprayed... Unless you would like to something specific.

ciao!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oh, by the way, I do need the side marker light assembly (The one in the side of the front bumper.) I can't find one anywhere.
If you can find one can you please let me know? I am still looking for a new one. BTW: your progress looks great!

Andy

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hehehehe ...

It's gold again!!!! :D :D

Now I hope that I can remember where everything went. :eek:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts