Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to tackle the air conditioning system. All parts appear to be there. I have a new Sanden compressor and dryer ready to install.

Currently when I turn the A/C switch on (compressor clutch wire is not connected) I hear the inside vent fan run but the blower in front of condenser coils does not come on. This may be normal especially if it is thermally controlled. Also I get a big voltage drop with just the one vent fan running. I need to check entire circuit before I gas up system. For all I know the condenser fan could be frozen and drawing a lot of current from system.

I have schematics to t-shoot. What I need to know is exactly where the "aux fan" and "cooldown" relays are located. I'm assuming the "thermostat control" is the rotary switch on dash but I could be wrong.

Any info or advice is appreciated.

Warren

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Aux fan relay is usually in engine compartment on passenger side. Cool down “relay” is on fan shroud. Look for fuse for relays next to junction box on driver’s side engine compartment. I replaced mine with a waterproof one, because it blew every time it rained. Picture shows AC fan & compressor relays

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently went through all of the engine compartment wiring for the A/C on my spider to get it all working again so here are some tips. As posted above, be sure to check the A/C fuse in the engine compartment (driver's side inner fender next to the positive wire junction box) before you go any further. It commonly burns out and leaves you with all of the A/C electrics working inside the car (there is another A/C fuse near the fuse box under the dash for those) but no power to the A/C relays on the passenger side inner fender. Once you have confirmed that the under hood fuse is good, remove the connectors from the relays and probe the wires in them with a volt meter to make sure you have power to them. The connectors to the relays corrode badly because they are not sealed so usually in addition to a new under hood fuse, you usually need to clean the connectors and the spades on the relays to get them to work correctly. The A/C system was an add on after the car was built so it has its own wiring harness that is tapped into the factory harness so check all the connections to make sure the A/C electrical system is 100% functional before you recharge the system. The good news is that it is easy to access and trace the A/C wiring, but it can take some of time to get it all working properly again if you find a lot of corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts